The 8x8 Web Dialer is an easy way to initiate calls from 8x8 Work for Desktop by clicking on a phone number on a web browser page.
Web Dialer automatically highlights most telephone numbers for you, turning them into clickable links. When a phone number is clicked, a call is dialed out through 8x8 Work for Desktop.
Other options are also available when manually highlighting a phone number:
- Initiate a call through 8x8 Contact Center
- Initiate sending an SMS/text message through 8x8 Work for Desktop
IMPORTANT Note Regarding Use of 8x8 SMS:
- If you currently use or will use any 8x8 service to send SMS messages in any amount (even just one message), regardless of the purpose, you must register an "SMS Campaign" with 8x8.
- If your business is not registered with The Campaign Registry, unregistered SMS/MMS will no longer be supported after March 31, 2023. Please see below for further details about registration.
- Enabling SMS for an 8x8 user extension requires a registered SMS campaign.
- Please see this article for more information: SMS Campaign Registration and Impact
- 8x8 Work for Desktop
- 8x8 Contact Center
- Google Chrome Web Browser
- Navigate to the 8x8 Web Dialer extension page in the Chrome Web Store.
- Click Add to Chrome.
- At the prompt, click Add Extension.
- Once install is complete, refresh your open web pages to update any listed phone numbers.
Requirements and Restrictions
- 8x8 Work for Desktop is required to run in conjunction with Web Dialer.
- Safari web browser is not supported.
- Firefox web browser is not supported.
- Highlight and Call, or send an SMS message:
- Not all web sites will allow the Web Dialer extension to highlight phone numbers. However, Web Dialer has an alternative "highlight and call" method for initiating calls.
- With the latest Google Chrome version of the 8x8 Web Dialer (v2.1.0 and higher), you can quickly initiate a text message with a phone number. Note that 8x8 SMS functionality requires your company to register an SMS campaign and enable SMS per user, first.
- Please see this article for instructions: 8x8 Web Dialer: Initiate Calls and SMS messages from Web Browser Applications
- Use of Web Dialer is not recommended in Salesforce when you are also using the 8x8 Work for Salesforce integration, as Web Dialer may interfere with Salesforce's native CTI click-to-dial functionality.
- Web Dialer does not support single-click dialing in 8x8 Contact Center. Only the "highlight and call" method mentioned below is supported.
- Currently when a Contact Center agent uses the "highlight and call" dialing method, two limitations will apply:
- The original web page that a call was launched from will redirect to the call-initiating HTML page. Clicking the back button in the web browser is required to return the agent to that page.
- Contact Center agents using the Web Dialer for initiating outbound calls will not be placed in Busy status. If they were Available before initiating the call, Available status will remain active for the duration of the call.
When you click on a phone number, your phone system will call your 8x8 phone extension.
You must answer that call to immediately complete the connection to the phone number you are trying to reach.