8x8 Voice for Teams administrators have the option to configure their Teams users to use either Teams voicemail or 8x8 voicemail.
This article will show you the basic steps required for directing unanswered inbound calls to Teams user voicemail.
- The procedures in this guide must be performed by a Voice for Teams admin portal administrator.
- Changes to 8x8 user profiles can be performed by users, if the required permissions are not disabled by an 8x8 Admin Console administrator.
If needed, the guide to configuring your service to use 8x8 voicemail is located here:
- Microsoft Teams
- 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams
- 8x8 Admin Console
All of the following must be completed to insure proper unanswered call forwarding behavior for your Voice for Teams users:
- Configure 8x8 User Profiles
- Configure the 8x8 Voice for Teams Admin Portal
- User Configuration of Voicemail Options in Teams
Configure 8x8 User Profiles
For Voice for Teams users whose unanswered calls are forwarded to Teams voicemail, their associated 8x8 user profiles must be appropriately configured. This is to prevent 8x8 from picking up unanswered calls before Teams unanswered call behavior can be triggered.
Note that this procedure does not apply to any Teams users who should use 8x8 voicemail instead of Teams voicemail, such as 8x8 Ring Group and/or Call Queue users.
- Log in to Admin Console.
- Select Users.
- Select the pencil icon next to the user you wish to edit.
- Scroll down to the Call Forwarding Rules section.
- Edit the Call Forwarding Rules to forward calls to No One and Play Busy.
- Select Save to complete your changes.
Configure the 8x8 Voice for Teams Admin Portal
Note that this procedure will enable Teams voicemail for all of your Voice for Teams users.
If one or more of your Teams users should use 8x8 voicemail instead of Teams voicemail, such as members of 8x8 Ring Groups and/or Call Queues, perform the following configuration changes and then see the section Overriding Teams Calling Policy for Individual Users in this article for further steps.
This process will update the applied Teams Calling Policy of your Teams users to force unanswered calls to Teams user voicemail.
- Log in to the 8x8 Voice for Teams admin portal.
- Navigate to Services > PBX.
- In the Calling Policy section, click the Manage Teams Calling Policy checkbox to enable it (if it is not already enabled).
- Click the dropdown arrow of the Teams Voicemail menu and select Allow Voicemail.
- Click Save at the bottom to complete your changes.
- Click the Sync Now button.
- Once the sync process is complete, your affected Teams users must log out of and log back into Teams to complete the update to their Teams Calling Policy.
Overriding Teams Calling Policy for Individual Users
The default Teams Calling Policy set in Services > PBX can be overridden at the individual level, if needed. This allows an administrator to force a specific Teams user's unanswered calls to be forwarded to either 8x8 voicemail or Teams voicemail, depending on their requirements.
To force a specific Teams user's unanswered calls to 8x8 voicemail instead of your configured default of Teams voicemail:
- Navigate to the Users tab in the Voice for Teams admin portal.
- Click the dropdown menu arrow at the left side of the Teams user you are changing the Calling Policy for.
- Click the Override Teams Calling Policy checkbox to enable it.
- Click the dropdown arrow of the Voicemail menu and select one of the following:
- Prohibit Voicemail
- Prohibit Voicemail effectively means "Prohibit Teams voicemail. Use 8x8 voicemail instead."
- Prohibit Voicemail & Call Forwarding
- Note: This option removes the Voicemail and New number or contact options from Microsoft Teams in the Settings > Calls > Call answering rules > If unanswered menu. See this article for more details.
- Prohibit Voicemail
- Click Save at the bottom of the specific user's section.
- Perform the above operation for each user whose Teams Calling Policy you are overriding from the configured default.
- Click the Sync Now button.
- Once the sync process is complete, your affected Teams user(s) must log out of and log back into Teams to complete the update to their Teams Calling Policy.
User Configuration of Voicemail Options in Teams
Once the above configurations have been made, Teams users should verify their Microsoft Teams voicemail configuration.
- If users have not logged out of Microsoft Teams since configuration steps in the sections above were completed, they should log out of and back into Teams.
- Click the three dots in the upper right corner of Teams and select Settings.
- Next, Teams users should verify their preferred Teams unanswered call handling behavior in Settings > Calls > Call answering rules > If unanswered.
- Finally, set Ring this many seconds before redirecting to an appropriate number of seconds.
- In our example, we've set calls to route to Teams voicemail if they ring for up to 20 seconds.