To set up your Auto Attendant in 8x8 Admin Console.
An Auto Attendant can be used in the place of a live receptionist, or to automatically transfer calls. The Auto Attendant is the recording that says, "Press 1 for ___." Your Auto Attendant can even route calls based on time of day for weekends, weekdays, holidays, and business exceptions (e.g., company offsites).
- 8x8 Admin Console
- Auto Attendant
There are four steps to planning your Auto Attendant:
- Identify the calls you want to the Auto Attendant to handle.
- Should all inbound calls go to through the Auto Attendant, or just those that your live receptionist can’t answer? Is the time of day important?
- Choose what menu options callers will have.
- Will one menu work, or will you need sub-menus?
- Decide where to route calls.
- What should happen to the calls? Should they go to a person, a group, a cell phone? What if a call doesn’t get answered?
- Compose the menu script.
- Do you need multiple language support?
Set up your Auto Attendant
- In 8x8 Admin Console, click Auto Attendants.
- Click + Create Auto Attendant.
- Fill in your Auto Attendant Details. The following fields are required to configure your Auto Attendant:
- Extension number
- Time Zone
- Select Create new schedule by clicking the drop down menu under Business Hours to set up your Auto Attendant schedule. This allows you to create different rules to be used during or outside of business hours.
- Click the Pencil icon next to the day of the week you wish to edit.
- Choose if your business is open or closed by using the drop-down under Status.
- If your business will remain open, use the drop-downs in the From and To column to select the hours of operation. This schedule will operate in the time zone selected for the Auto Attendant.
- Click Save.
- Repeat steps i through iv for the other days of the week and click Save.
- Select an Auto Attendant greeting. Use text-to-speech to type out a prompt to be read by an automated voice. You can also use the default greeting, upload a pre-recorded greeting, or call a phone and record your greeting.
- Set rules for your Auto Attendant. These rules will set up the actions tied to specific keys in your Auto Attendant menu.
Note: You must select a site before you can create your Auto Attendant menu.
Try It Live
Click here for a live, step-by-step walkthrough of this process! (Requires login.)
Setting up an Alternate Menu can also useful for any unexpected events where you need to close (or open) outside of usual operating hours.