X Series Unified Storage Policy Overview
Starting with 11/24/20, 8x8 introduced an enhanced Storage Policy that allows our customers to archive their data for longer time intervals, eliminates the overage charges on the UC side, and unifies storage across UC and CC.
- Call Recording Storage
November 12, 2021
Based on feedback over the past year since the new Storage Policy was released, the policy is being adjusted effective 11/12/21 to make to ensure that our customers:
- are provided with time and information in order to make the best decision in regards to the type and period of storage they need
- when switching to the new Storage Policy, they preserve their existing recordings and can easily access them for playback and evaluation in the upcoming 90 days.
- When switching to the new Storage Policy, 8x8 provides customers with a 90-days grace period when all recordings (existing recordings and new recordings) are kept in Hot Storage (and not Cold Storage as before):
- this impacts both CC and UC customers, no matter the licenses purchased
- for example, a X1-X2 customer or X6-X8 customer who only has the default 30 days of Hot Storage, will benefit of this extension when being switched - no recording will be archived or deleted in the first 90 days
- After these 90 days:
- if additional Hot Storage (130 days) is available, then recordings will stay in Hot Storage for a period of time that equals: the number of days since the recording was created subtracted from the 130 days of total Hot Storage
- if additional Hot Storage (130 days) is not available (or the recording is older than 130 days), but Cold Storage is available, then recordings will stay in Cold Storage for a period of time that equals: the number of days since the recording was created subtracted from the years of Cold Storage (1/2/...10)
- if Cold Storage is not available (or the recording is older than the Cold Storage period), then recordings will be deleted
- In this 90 days period, customers will have the possibility to purchase additional Hot Storage (130 days of Hot Storage) or Cold Storage (available in annual increments up to 10 years) and this new storage period will also apply retroactively to all existing recordings.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does an existing customer migrate to the new policy?
8x8 Accounts team/Sales can migrate existing customers to the new policy.
Does the same policy apply for recordings created by both deleted and active users?
Yes, the policy equally covers recordings that were created by users who currently have any status: active/deactivated / deleted.
Are metadata and other recording-related files covered by the same policy?
Yes, all recording-related files and metadata will fall under the same policy as the recording itself and will be stored/deleted together with the recording.
When a recording is archived (in Cold Storage), all media files are archived and must be retrieved for playback (retrieval might take up to 12 hours and the files will be available again for 7 days upon retrieval), but metadata is still available and accessible in the Quality Management and Speech Analytics app or the Recordings page in Admin Console.
Are Storage Policies automatically assigned?
Not all of them. For CC, all Storage Policies are automatically assigned. For UC, Storage Policies that are included by default in the X series licenses are also automatically assigned together with the licenses, but all storage add-ons (130 days Hot and any type of Cold) must be manually assigned to the users they were purchased for.