How do I activate my desk phones in 8x8 Admin Console?
Note: To activate your desk phones in Account Manager, a legacy version of 8x8 Admin Console, click here.
Activating a device in 8x8 Admin Console to use for 8x8 services.
- 8x8 Admin Console
Try It Live
Click here for a live, step-by-step walkthrough of this process! (Requires login.)
Before You Begin!
You will need:
- The phone(s) you’ll be activating.
- The email with your login credentials.
- A User Profile with a license assigned that will be associated with the device.
- A phone number claimed or ported and assigned to the user.
If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it easily via the 8x8 Work login page.
Only one physical phone can be activated per extension.
Activating Your Phone
- Connect the phone to your Ethernet connection using the provided Ethernet cable. (If your network does not feature power over Ethernet, be sure to also connect and plug in the power adaptor.)
- Your phone will automatically power up and display Activate on the screen.
- Pick up the handset (or turn on the speakerphone).
- Following the voice prompts and enter the Activation Code that you received in your welcome email.
- The phone will reboot and then come online. Note that the phone may reboot more than once.
For additional instructions, refer to the Quickstart Guide that came with your phone or the online 8x8 Equipment Matrix.
Note: Account administrators can activate devices in the user's profile in 8x8 Admin Console.
Note: The above IVR method of activation is not supported for the Poly Soundpoint IP450. IP450 phones must be activated by entering the phone's MAC address in 8x8 Admin Console user profiles. Please see the next section for details.
Activating Devices Through the User's Profile in 8x8 Admin Console
Before you begin, create a user profile and ensure that the device you wish to activate is added to the Devices List on your account. To add a device, Go to Devices > Add a Device Model and select your device from the drop-down.
- Log in to 8x8 Admin Console.
- Click Users.
- Select an available 8x8 Work Services license according to to the plan you have purchased from 8x8.
- Go to Voice Basic Settings.
- Enter or Suggest an extension.
- Assign a Device to the user. Once you select the device, you will be able to activate the phone by selecting one of the options below:
- MAC Address: Enter your device's MAC Address.
- Activation Code (an activation code will display if this option is selected)
- Click Save to confirm your changes. If you selected MAC Address, your device will be activated once the user is saved. If you selected Activation Code, follow the instructions above to activate your phone.
Note: If the device does not reboot itself automatically after you have saved the MAC Address in the user profile, you have to power cycle the device (Unplug it from the power source for 1 full minute and then reconnect the power cable)
If you are activating a Poly or Yealink IP phone previously used with another service, you may not yet see an onscreen prompt to activate the phone. Please consult one of the following guides: