Description & Download
Recommended Installers (64-Bit)
EXE for per-user deployment: Allows users to install and update on their own, keeping you up-to-date and secure with the latest features and fixes. (Click here to learn more about managing installation for Windows.)
Only if Needed
For machine-wide installation: 64-Bit MSI
Version 8.7 published on 10/18/23.
- Operating System
- Windows 10 and newer
- MacOS 10.13 High Sierra and newer
- Hardware Requirements
- 1.6 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 64-bit (x64) processor; 32-bit (x86) not recommended
- 4 gigabytes (GB) RAM (64-bit) recommended; minimum 2 GB RAM
- 20 GB of available hard-disk space (64-bit)
- Minimum 1.5 Mbps down/up or better (broadband wired or wireless)
- For HD video meetings minimum 2 Mbps
For a complete list of requirements, refer to the Technical Requirements.
What's new in this release?
The key features in Work for Desktop v 8.7 are:
Voice, Messaging, and Core
Settings 'General' tab
The new Settings > 'General' tab reorganizes the general application settings.
Settings for starting the app on desktop login, keeping it always on top, selecting the Light or Dark Theme and more are now moved under 'General'.
New option to disable the video hardware acceleration
If your audience complains about the legibility of shared content in a video meeting you can toggle on Disable GPU hardware acceleration from Settings > General > Disable GPU hardware acceleration to improve it.
For certain combinations of video boards and operating systems disabling hardware acceleration improves content sharing legibility.
Various enhancements & fixes
- Call using computer in the navigation bar displays a loading indicator while the app detects the available audio devices instead of the exclamation mark to avoid confusion with a real device issue.
- Now you can also use tel: link in addition to the standard tel:// protocol pattern to initiate a call with a certain contact.
- Email addresses for Ring Groups and Call Queues are not shown in the contact card anymore.
- 'no audio devices loaded' in specific configurations is fixed
- The blurry fax preview is now fixed and the resolution is enhanced.
For more details on the latest features, please view the user guide.
Download for Windows
8x8 provides two Work for Desktop packages for Windows. The two packages are fundamentally different, using different deployment and update mechanisms. 8x8 strongly recommends employing the EXE installer, as it ensures that users are easily able to enjoy the latest fixes, features, and security enhancements available in Work for Desktop.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment (Recommended)
The EXE version allows users to self-install and upgrade without the need for central management, providing the best and most seamless user experience.
What to Consider
- EXE version will be installed to %LOCALAPPDATA%.
- Automatic updates are downloaded and installed for the user. (In previous versions, users were prompted to install the update.)
- No need for maintenance — Work for Desktop will keep itself up-to-date and secure.
- Work for Desktop will check for updates every time the user signs in or once every 24 hours. Users can also check for updates manually. The updates are downloaded in the background without user intervention
- If there is an update to be installed, Work for Desktop will apply the update automatically when the user signs into Work for Desktop. If the user has not installed an update three days after it was downloaded, they will see a Relaunch to Install banner. They can click the link and install the update.
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation
For companies that must strictly control software installs and updates, the Windows Installer file (MSI) package installs Work for Desktop machine-wide to the Program Files folder. By installing in the Program Files folder, it can be used by multiple users on one computer. Click here to learn more about managing Work for Desktop installations and updates.
Download for Mac
Click the button below to download and install Work for Desktop for macOS (Intel) (DMG file).
Click the button below to download and install Work for Desktop for macOS (M1& M2) (DMG file)
Note: The Work for Desktop macOS app auto-update mechanism works only for users with admin privileges. Non-admin users will need to manually update Work for Desktop.
- For issues with installation on Windows, try running Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.
- If you are unable to update Work for Desktop and you were migrated from Account Manager to Admin Console, see I can't upgrade to the latest version of 8x8 Work for Desktop.
Previous Versions of Work for Desktop
If for some reason you are unable to use the latest version of Work for Desktop, you can download the previous GA release here.