How to Change or Reset Voicemail Password
Change or reset your voicemail password in 8x8 Work, or from your phone. You will also find the requirements to set a password below.
Setting your voicemail password for the first time?
Typically, voicemail passwords are first set by the account administrator when editing extension details in the Account Manager. However, if you have the option to set your own voicemail password, from your own extension, dial 555, then press the # key. The system will first state, This is not a valid password. Stay on the line and listen to the brief voicemail tutorial. At the end, follow the instructions to set a voicemail password.
- Voicemail Password
- Work for Desktop
Voicemail settings can be altered via 8x8 Admin Console; the Work for Desktop and Online applications; and either your mobile or desk phone.
Change Your Voicemail Password in Work for Desktop
- Log in to Work for Desktop.
- From the menu, select Settings.
- Select Account Settings.
- In the resulting window, log in with your 8x8 user name and password if prompted.
- Under Voicemail Settings, select Reset access PIN.
- From here, if needed, enter a new voicemail password, then click Save when done.
Need further assistance? Contact your system administrator, who can assist with resetting your password.
Change Your Voicemail Password from Your Phone
- Access the voicemail system:
- From your own extension: Dial 555 and enter your current voicemail password.
- From another extension in your system: Dial 500, enter your extension number, then enter your current voicemail password.
- Once connected, press the * key to enter the Main Menu.
- From the Main Menu:
- Press 3 to enter the User Preference Options sub-menu.
- Press 1 to change your voicemail password. Follow the audio prompts until complete.
- Press 9 to exit voicemail.
Make sure the voicemail password meets the following requirements:
- Passwords must be 6 to 15 digits long.
- Passwords must not be the same digits (e.g., 0000, 1111, 9999).
- Numbers must not be sequential (e.g., 1234, 4321).
- Your password should not be your extension number.
- Passwords should not be any year (from 1900 - 2017).
- Passwords should not be a repeating ABAB pattern (e.g., 1010, 1212, 3131, etc.).
- Passwords must not be 2580, 0852, or 5683. (These are common combinations based on key placement or word association.)
For a downloadable Quick Reference Guide to the voicemail phone menu, click here.
Access to voicemail from an outside (non-8x8) line is restricted for your security. A workaround to allow this is to create an Auto Attendant for your own number or another number in your system with an option that points to extension 500.
To view or change your Ring Group voicemail password, click here.