Import a File as a Dataset in ContactNow
In order to import a CSV file to a dataset, hover over the Data icon in the Navigation bar and click Import Data.
Click the Gear icon located on the right side of the file you wish to import and select Import.
You will then be taken to the CSV File Importer screen as shown below. You can cancel the import at any time by clicking the red l Import button at the top of the page.
- Description - You have the option to rename the dataset or you can leave the default name.
- Select Campaign - Here you must select a campaign you wish to assign the data into.
- Field Separator - This option is used when importing unusual file formats like TXT files where the fields are separated by a comma or other character.
- Contains Headers? - Headers (column names) are usually in the top row of a CSV file. If your data file does not have headers, please un-tick this box before continuing.
- Preview Length - A preview screen will be shown when the Next button is clicked to give you an overview of what the organized data will look like on our system.
If you are satisfied with your choices and the changes made please Click Next to continue.
You will now be presented with the Data preview screen, The value previously set on the Preview Length option will affect how many records you can preview (the default value is 10).
If the data has been read correctly and you are satisfied with the layout shown, click Next to continue.
The Field Assignment stage is where you will match columns from the uploaded file to columns from the campaign.
Some of the columns you may want to assign will be under the drop-down menu as standard (e.g., FirstName, LastName, MobilePhone, & WorkPhone) others can be created at this stage or via the Edit Database Fields tool. You can also choose to ignore columns in the data you have imported, e.g., credit card details or applicant numbers (which may not be applicable to your business but appear in the data you are uploading). If the data you are uploading contains field names that exactly match the campaign columns, they will automatically be assigned / matched, the columns will then be highlighted green.Columns that are not matched will be highlighted in red and will either need to be matched or ignored.
- Save Template - If data is uploaded with the same column headers each time, you can save a template to eradicate the need to match the fields each time you import data.
- Load Template - The saved templates will appear as a drop-down list for you to choose from.
Once you are satisfied with the columns you have assigned, click Next to continue.
The next stage is Import Analysis. At this stage the system will analyze the uploaded data to ensure the data is as clean as possible.
- Valid / Invalid phone number - The system will look at the format of the numbers to ensure they are valid, any telephone numbers with less than 8 digits after the initial 0 will be classed as invalid, you can then choose to exclude or include using the drop-down in the actions column (exclude will be chosen by default).
- Numbers in DNC list - You can choose to check the file being uploaded for telephone numbers that appear in any saved DNC lists. The lists can be selected from the actions column and if any numbers are identified you will be presented with the total figure of matches next to the list name in the Information column. The numbers will then be removed from the dataset being uploaded.
- File duplicated phone numbers - The system will check the file being uploaded for telephone numbers duplicated within itself. If duplicates are found a red error message will be displayed at the top of the page and a message will be visible in the information column. You can choose to include all duplicates or keep first only (first instance) by selecting from the drop-down in the actions column. Additionally, If you click on the blue text in the error message or the information column a new window will open showing the Duplicates in more detail (see image below).
If you wish to only call specific prefixes or zip codes (Zip codes need to be contained within the data being uploaded), you can do so by selecting from the drop-down options in the Prefix Field, you can specify a Prefix Length to get a more in depth view of area dial codes and Zip codes, You can then choose to include or exclude your choices via the drop-down in the Action column. (excluded choices will be highlighted red).
Once you are satisfied with the selections please click Next to continue.
The Dataset Analysis feature checks the file being uploaded against other datasets within the campaign and notify you whether there are any duplicate numbers that may have already been uploaded.
- Dataset Description - The names of the other datasets within the campaign will be listed here.
- Duplicated Phone Numbers - This will show a numerical value of how many numbers have been identified as being duplicated.
- De-duplicate - You can select the tick box to run the de-duplicate tool against the dataset / datasets, the tool will be run when the Next button is pressed.
Please click Next to continue.
This is the final stage of the import process. Once the progress text says Done the import is complete. Click Dataset Management to manage the dataset, assign it to an outbound queue and make it Live.