8x8 Express: How do I set up Sameroom?
8x8 Team Messaging and Sameroom
Sameroom allows you to connect 8x8 Work public rooms to each other. It also allows you to connect 8x8 Work rooms to supported external chat applications such as Slack, Gitter, Cisco Webex Teams, and Skype.
Once your chat rooms are connected by Sameroom "tubes" that you create, messages posted in one room will immediately appear in all connected rooms.
- Access to Sameroom functionality in 8x8 X Series accounts is included at no extra cost, but it must be provisioned by request. Please see below.
- A full list of supported and non-supported applications and limitations can be found here.
Account Manager service accounts are incompatible with 8x8 Team Messaging (Sameroom), so they cannot be provisioned.
8x8 is working diligently to migrate all Account Manager customers to the newer Admin Console platform.
To request that Sameroom be enabled for 8x8 Team Messaging:
- Create a Support case and ask us to enable Sameroom for your 8x8 service.
Once you've been notified that Sameroom has been enabled:
You'll need to create portals and tubes to enable chat message relay between rooms.
- Portals are URLs that you use to make connections (tubes) between different public rooms.
- Tubes are the actual authenticated connections established between your public rooms.
- You can create multiple portal URLs, which allows you to connect tubes between different sets of Work rooms and external chat application rooms, as needed.
- First, log in to either Work Desktop or Work Mobile.
- Create a "portal" which you will use to connect other rooms with:
- Type @Sameroom portal in a public 8x8 Work room. Sameroom will reply back after a few seconds.
- Copy the supplied unique URL for future reference.
- Now in another public room, type @Sameroom connect <Portal URL> to connect a chat relay tube between your original room (where you received the portal URL) and the other public 8x8 Work room. After a few seconds you'll receive a response telling you what was connected by your new Sameroom tube.
- Example: @sameroom connect https://sameroom.io/aBcDeFGh
Your chat messages posted in one connected room should now also immediately appear in the other.
For more information about Sameroom, please see:
- Sameroom Article Index
- Sameroom: Sameroom Commands
- Sameroom: Common Questions and Answers
- Sameroom: Glossary of Terms
- Sameroom: Chat Service Limitations and Known Issues
- Sameroom: Unsupported Chat Services