Important: If the plug-in ceases to function or disappears from your Google Chrome calendar options, go to Manage Extensions and click or toggle off/on Enable next to Virtual Office Meetings for Google v 2.1.
To enable the Virtual Office Meetings for Google Calendar plug-in.
The plug-in allows you to schedule a Virtual Office Meeting and send meeting invites from your Google Calendar with just a click. You can check the availability of your meeting attendees, pick a time that works for all, and make any needed updates directly in Google Calendar to adjust meeting details.
The meeting invitation email includes the link to join the meeting virtually. Highlights include the following capabilities:
- Required for VO Editions users
- Compatible with meetings scheduled with earlier version of plug-in.
- Virtual Office
- Google Calendar
Using Virtual Office Meetings for Google Calendar (8x8 Video Meetings)
- Click Add extension to confirm and install the plug-in.
- In the Google pop-up, click Allow to grant the plugin access to your Google Calendar.
- Navigate to Google Calendar to set up a new meeting.
- Click Login next to activate the plug-in. Enter your 8x8 login credentials and click Login.
Note: If you are already logged in, you will see a blue Add a Virtual Office Meeting button. Click it to add a Virtual Office Meeting.
- Edit meeting details as you would with a standard Google Calendar event.
- Save the meeting.
How It Works
From the Host Side
- Schedule a meeting leveraging Google Calendar features to display the availability of all parties.
- Receive an email with host details only (host ID number) that is added to the host calendar.
- Utilize Google Calendar features such as viewing guest acceptance status (Yes, Maybe, No).
From the Guest Side
- Receive a standard Google Calendar invitation that syncs with their calendar and allows a quick response on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Receive meeting updates and cancelation notifications that sync directly with their Google Calendar.
If you encounter any problems, please send feedback:
- In the Google Chrome web browser, access your Google Calendar.
- Click the 8x8 icon in your Chrome toolbar to open the feedback window.
- Select the type of feedback you wish to send, and enter a message.
- Click Send.
Known Issues and Limitations
- Cannot create a Virtual Meeting directly from Gmail.
- Adding an event with an attached Virtual Meeting and then clicking Undo removes the event from Google Calendar, but it remains in VOD.
- If you want to delete a recurring meeting that has only one instance with Virtual Meeting attached when you delete the whole series from Google Calendar, the instance with Virtual Meeting attached will remain in VOD meetings list.
- If the user does not have the required license for Virtual Office Meetings, they will see the message, “You are not authorized to perform this operation. Please refer to meeting owner,” when they attempt to create or modify a Virtual Office Meeting.
Virtual Office Meetings for Google Calendar Plug-in FAQ
How do I join a Virtual Office Meeting from my Google calendar?
- Navigate to your Google calendar.
- Open the scheduled meeting and click Join Meeting.
- Join the meeting through your Virtual Office Desktop client or through Virtual Office Online.
How do I remove a Virtual Office Meeting from a Google calendar event?
- Navigate to your Google calendar.
- Open the event.
- Click More Options (three dots).
- Select Remove Virtual Office Meeting.
When trying to use the Google calendar plug-in, why do I receive the error, "You are not authorized to perform this operation. Please refer to the meeting owner."
The plug-in uses SSO to sign into your Virtual Office Meeting account. If you are using an account that does not have a Virtual Office Meeting license, you will encounter this error when attempting to log in to the plug-in. Contact your 8x8 Virtual Office system administrator to have your account configured with a Virtual Office Meetings license.
I used to have the Google plug-in installed. Why don't I see it on my Google Chrome browser anymore?
8x8 released an updated version of the Google calendar plug-in in December 2017. The new version requires that you re-enable and re-authorize the Google API to use the plug-in. To re-enable the plug-in: