To install the most recent version of the 8x8 Work for Salesforce integration. This process bypasses the need to install the integration from the Salesforce AppExchange.
There are three primary steps in this process:
- Install the 8x8 Work for Salesforce Integration Package
- Add Salesforce Users to the New Call Center
- Optional: Configure Salesforce Lightning
Consider installing the v3.1 Salesforce integration, instead.
- v2.8 will be retired. There is no ETA at this time, but all v2.8 users will eventually be migrated to v3.1.
- v2.8 has a few more out-of-the-box features than v3.1, but it cannot be customized.
- v3.1 can be customized to individual Salesforce organizations through 8x8 Professional Services.
- v3.1 supports both 8x8 Work (formerly Virtual Office) and Contact Center services out-of-the-box.
To install v3.1, see: How to Install Salesforce Integration v3.1 for 8x8 Work and Contact Center
Please note that 8x8 Virtual Office has been renamed to 8x8 Work, so you may see references to both in this article while we work on updating our applications.
- 8x8 Work (formerly Virtual Office)
Note: The 8x8 Work for Salesforce integration is not a softphone, and so provides no audio services. It is effectively a control panel and is required to work in conjunction with 8x8 Work for Desktop, 8x8 Work for Mobile, or a physical desk phone.
Install the 8x8 Work for Salesforce Integration Package
This installation process can be performed in either Classic or Lightning mode in Salesforce, and only needs to be performed once for it to work in either mode.
- First, log in to Salesforce as an administrator.
- Click the following Salesforce Apex app installation URL to open a new browser tab, or right-click and copy the link location, then paste the URL into the address line of your preferred web browser.
- Select Install for All Users and click Install.
- Click Done to complete the package installation.
- Salesforce should automatically display the installed package. If not, in Salesforce click Setup, then search for and click Installed Packages.
- Verify that version 2.8 of the 8x8 Virtual Office for Salesforce integration is installed, and proceed to the next step.
Add Salesforce Users to the New Call Center
Your Salesforce users must be added to the 8x8 call center for them to see the integration communication panel.
- To begin, navigate to Setup > Call Centers and click on the name of the 8x8 Virtual Office Integration call center (do not click Edit).
- Scroll down and click Manage Call Center Users.
- Click Add More Users.
- In Search for More Users, click Find to see a list of all available/unassigned users. You can also use filters to narrow your search as needed.
- Select the users who will have access to the 8x8 Virtual Office integration, then click Add to Call Center.
- Your Salesforce users can now click on their Home tab to log into and use the 8x8 Work for Salesforce Integration.
- If your Salesforce users require use of the integration in Lightning mode, continue on with the next step. Otherwise, this basic installation process is complete.
Configuring for Salesforce Lightning
If you're using Salesforce Lightning, you must add the 8x8 communication panel to the Utility Bar in Lightning, so that it can be seen by Lightning users.
Note: The 8x8 VO integration supports Sales Console for Lightning and the Service Console for Lightning, which are features that must be purchased from Salesforce.
- In Classic or Lightning mode, navigate to Setup > Call Centers, and click 8x8 Virtual Office Integration - Next Generation With Lightning.
- Confirm that Salesforce Compatibility Mode is set to either Lightning or Classic_and_Lightning, depending on your needs. This setting controls which mode the 8x8 integration communication panel will appear in for your users. The default setting is Classic_and_Lightning.
- Now from Classic mode (if needed) click Switch to Lightning Experience.
- At the top-right, click the Setup icon and select Setup
- Search for and click App Manager.
- The 8x8 Work integration supports all of the following Salesforce Lightning applications. Repeat the configuration steps below to add it to the Utility Bar of these applications, as needed:
- Sales Console
- Service Console
- Click the drop-down arrow in the row of the Lightning app you're adding the 8x8 integration to, and select Edit.
- In the Lightning App Builder, click Utility Items.
- Click Add Utility Item and select Open CTI Softphone.
- Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
- At the top-right of the screen, click the Back button. This will return you to the Setup Home tab.
- At the top-left of the screen, click the App Launcher icon.
- Click to launch the Lightning app you've added the 8x8 Virtual Office integration to.
- The Phone button should appear in the Utility Bar at the bottom-left of the screen.
Note: If the Phone button does not appear for a user, verify that they've been added to the 8x8 call center, and refresh their browser tab for good measure. Clearing of the browser cache and cookies might also be needed.
- Click the Phone button to bring the 8x8 communication panel into view. All users assigned in the 8x8 Work call center can now log in to their 8x8 extension.
The following comprehensive online documentation is available, here: