Salesforce Integration: Caller Appears as Unknown
When a Salesforce user receives an inbound call notification in the 8x8 integrations v2.8 or v3.1 communication panel, the inbound caller appears as Unknown. This happens even though there is a known Salesforce object on the account that has the correct phone number assigned.
Also, after correctly configuring the Custom Call Logging parameters, the Call Outcome section in the Notes tab of the communication panel may have no value to select after the call has ended.
Virtual Office for Salesforce v2.x
There are several possible reasons for this issue:
- The user's web browser cache has become corrupted.
- There is no Salesforce object containing the caller's phone number.
- The Salesforce administrator has modified the Salesforce object template (such as Contacts) in a way that prevents the integration from searching supported Phone fields.
- The specific Salesforce object (such as Contacts) has been disabled in the communication panel from being searched during a call.
- The Salesforce security Session Timeout causes user logout.
- The Salesforce user and/or user profile type is restricted from using specific Apex Class objects related to the 8x8 integration.
Browser Cache is Corrupted
When the web browser cache has become corrupted, it may prevent proper use of the 8x8 Salesforce communication panel.
This problem can be verified by testing the Salesforce communication panel in:
- A different web browser
- An Incognito tab (Chrome) or Private tab (Firefox)
- An entirely different PC
If any of the above tests work without issue, then the original browser session cache is probably corrupted. Fully clear both cache and cookies to resolve this.
If the above tests all fail, proceed to the other solutions provided here.
Caller's Phone Number Not Stored in Salesforce
The 8x8 Salesforce integration supports only the following objects for call recognition:
If the caller's phone number is not stored in one of these objects, or is not directly associated with one of these objects, call recognition will fail.
To resolve this issue, add the caller's phone number to one of the supported Salesforce objects.
Salesforce Object Template Has Been Customized
Salesforce administrators can modify the templates used to display information to Salesforce users. This includes templates such as for Salesforce Contacts. Most often these changes have no effect on call recognition.
If the Phone field in one or more of these objects has been too heavily modified by a Salesforce administrator, the integration's search capability for that object can be broken, causing phone numbers to fail recognition, especially during inbound calls.
This level of customization is not supported, as the integration can't adapt to unforeseen changes to the Salesforce templates.
Salesforce Object Search Disabled
Salesforce integration users have access to personalized settings in the communication panel. These settings are located under Menu > Settings.
In Menu > Settings > CRM Objects to search, verify that objects requiring phone number search are enabled (green). If an object's slider is disabled (gray), phone number recognition will fail for that object type.
Click Save and Close to save any changes made. The changes in this area are immediate.
The Salesforce security Session Timeout causes user logout
If the Salesforce security Session Timeout value is set too low, user sessions may time out too quickly, which can cause Unknown to appear in some communication panel during calls.
This is because Salesforce expires access tokens to the 8x8 communication panel when the Salesforce session expires. This means that the communication panel is no longer authenticated to 'talk' with the Salesforce, to either ask for or add information.
See the following article for details:
The Salesforce user and/or User Profile type is restricted
The 8x8 Virtual Office for Salesforce integration is composed of several Apex Class components.
If the User Profile type is restricted from using those Apex Class items, the integration may appear, but will not function properly or at all.
To confirm user access and/or fix it:
- In Salesforce Classic mode, navigate to Setup > Installed Packages.
- Click on 8x8 Virtual Office for Salesforce.
- Then click View Components.
In the Package Components section, several Apex Class components are listed. The Apex Class items VirtualOffice and VOUserInfo must be enabled for the user's profile type.
- To see this, click on the name of the Apex Class items, such as VirtualOffice or VOUserInfo.
- Then click on Security.
- The user's profile type (such as Standard User, etc) must be listed in the Enabled Profiles area. If it is not, move the user's profile type from Available Profiles to Enabled Profiles and click Save.
- You may need to repeat this process for both Apex Class items VirtualOffice and VOUserInfo for this installed package.
- Once this is done, have the user(s) log out of Salesforce, then log back in and re-test their 8x8 comm panel.
Note that other impacting restrictions may have been placed on user profiles, and should be checked by the Salesforce administrator.