This article is specific to the problem caused by administrator changes to object permissions in their Salesforce org.
There are two primary symptoms associated with this issue:
- When a call is made or received, the 8x8 integration for Salesforce will display call activity, but shows Unknown for all phone numbers instead of matching them with a known Salesforce object, such as a Contact.
- When using the Search tab function in the 8x8 communication panel to look for a Salesforce entry, known Salesforce objects are not discovered, and the Search pane remains blank.
- 8x8 Work Integration
- 8x8 Contact Center Integration
One or more Salesforce object fields that require permission to be visible, such as the Contact Asst. Phone field, have been hidden from user profiles by a Salesforce administrator.
Specifically, the Visible setting is disabled for Field-Level Security of a required field.
In this case, the affected user is not able to complete any search of Salesforce in the 8x8 communication panel.
The Salesforce Administrator must locate and set the Field-Level Security of Visible for all of the required Salesforce object fields in the table below, for any affected Salesforce user profile.
The procedure for this is shown, below.
Important: It is not necessary to "un-hide" object fields (set Field-Level Security to Visible) for Salesforce profiles of users who do not have specific search types enabled in the 8x8 communication panel, under
Settings > Integrations > Salesforce.
- If the Phone field is "hidden" in the Account object, but not in Contact, and only Contact is enabled for search by the user, call recognition and Search will succeed.
- If the Phone field is "hidden" in the Account object, but not in Contact, and both Account and Contact are enabled for search by the user, call recognition and Search will fail.
So if users were to enable all Search Types, and even only one object field in the table below is hidden from them, all searches will fail.
The following specific Object fields require Field-Level Security to be set to Visible for search to succeed:
|Object||Field Label||Field Name|
- Log into Salesforce as an administrator with sufficient privileges to change object permissions.
- Click on the gear icon at the top-right and select Setup.
- Search for and click on Object Manager, under Objects and Fields.
- Click on the specific object you will be changing. In this example, the Contact object.
- In Fields & Relationships, click on the specific field name you will be changing. In this example, the Asst. Phone field.
- Click on View Field Accessibility.
- In the Field Accessibility for Field drop-down menu, select the field you're changing.
- Under the Field Access column, click on the related setting of the user profile you are changing.
- In this example, the Hidden link of the Standard User profile. This example change will affect all users assigned to the Standard User profile in Salesforce.
- Under Field-Level Security, check the Visible box
- Click Save to complete the change for this specific field.
- Complete this change for all other required fields in the table above.
Note that it isn't strictly necessary to make the field you're changing actually visible in the Page Layout: only that the Field-Level Security is enabled/Visible for this specific object field in this specific user profile.
- Finally, ensure that all users of the 8x8 integration for Salesforce have enabled the appropriate object Search Type settings in the 8x8 communication panel, under Settings > Integrations > Salesforce.