Configuring Large Tenant Mode in the 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams admin portal.
Note: The complete 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams service setup, including enabling Large Tenant Mode, is also documented in the 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams Guide for Administrators.
- 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams
Where there is a need to synchronize large user numbers into the portal the Large Tenant Mode provides a mechanism to reduce the scope of the sync process to a subset of users and can significantly improve the performance of the Sync Now process.
Large Tenant Mode is intended for user management above 1000 users, however it does support organizations with fewer users.
For Large Tenant Mode, the Sync Now function does not perform the same license checks and validation that would otherwise take place as this is time consuming and could cause the Sync Now process to time-out in very large customer scenarios.
Using Large Tenant Mode assumes that the members in groups being synced are properly licensed, meaning that they have been assigned a Phone System license and do not have a Calling Plan. If this is not the case, then users will be unable to make/receive calls and existing calling plans can be disrupted.
If you wish to understand more about Azure Active Directory groups used by Large Tenant Mode, please review this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/fundamentals/active-directory-groups-create-azure-portal
If you need more information of group-based licensing for Azure and Office 365, please see this article:
- Basic security groups are supported with Large Tenant Mode
- All members of the groups chosen will be be present in the Add User list or available to be matched by the bulk import function
- The group select option supports transitive membership, so the group can contain other groups and the service gets all of the implied users of the sub-groups.
Configuring Large Tenant Mode
- Log into the 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams admin portal.
- Navigate to the Services > Teams tab.
- Click the slider to enable Large Tenant Mode.
- Microsoft will request permission to read groups from Azure active directory. Click Consent on behalf of your organization and then click Accept.
- Click the dropdown arrow to view the list of available directory groups, and locate the group(s) you will be adding.
- Select the groups that contain users to be enabled on the service. Multiple groups can be selected.
- Review and confirm the selected groups as listed in Large Tenant Mode > Azure AD groups.
- Click Save to complete the setup of Large Tenant Mode.
- Finally, you'll need to click Sync Now to add/sync your Azure AD user group members to the Users section of the admin portal.
Adding and Deleting Groups
At any stage in the above process, groups can be added or removed by clicking Large Tenant Mode > Azure AD groups > Choose Groups.
Add any new Azure AD groups following the procedure above.
If you wish to remove an Azure AD group from your Voice for Teams service, click the group's X to remove them from the list, click Save, and click Yes at the popup warning message to confirm the group deletion.
You'll then need to run another Sync Now process to remove the group(s) of users from the admin portal Users page.