8x8 Voice for Teams: Questions and Answers
Please see the Table of Contents at the left for a clickable index of questions.
What is Voice for Teams?
8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams is a cloud-based PBX-to-PBX integration with the Microsoft Phone System, which creates a seamless, behind-the-scenes integration of the 8x8 phone service into Microsoft Teams.
So in essence, the 8x8 Voice for Teams service provides enterprise-grade telephony and global PSTN connectivity to customers who want to retain Microsoft Teams as their sole collaboration interface.
What are the requirements for the Voice for Teams service?
- Microsoft Office 365 Enterprise service with either E5 licenses, or with E1-E4 licenses and the Phone Service add-on.
- An 8x8 X Series account.
- One 8x8 X series License (X1-X8) must be assigned to each user of Microsoft Teams.
- MS Teams licenses must be applied to your account in the 8x8 Admin Console, with one license assigned to each user of Microsoft Teams.
- Implementation services are required for all 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams deployments.
Setting up the service must be performed by one or more administrators who have access to admin functions of both Microsoft Teams and the 8x8 Admin Console.
Can I use Work Desktop or Work Mobile with the service?
While it's possible to use the 8x8 Work Desktop and Work Mobile apps with Voice for Teams, it is generally not recommended. Calls made using these apps will not appear in the Microsoft Teams interface, and Teams to Teams calls will not appear in Work Desktop or Work Mobile.
Only Microsoft Teams browser, phone, and app endpoints should be used.
Are 8x8 Work-specific functions like SMS and Meetings supported?
Microsoft Teams itself does not natively support SMS, and the 8x8 Voice for Teams integration extends only to back-end processes, not to embedded integrations or applications. So 8x8 SMS and Meetings are not supported features of 8x8 Voice for Teams.
If needed, a service administrator can provide their users with access to 8x8 Work credentials so they can log into Work Desktop and use features such as SMS and Meetings. Keep in mind that as stated above, this activity will not appear in Microsoft Teams.
Are 8x8 phone devices supported?
- Users can have an 8x8-supported phone device.
- For Teams to Teams calls only MS Certified Devices will ring. In this case, standard 8x8 provided devices will not.
Are there any limitations in capturing information in 8x8 Analytics?
In general, any call placed or received in Microsoft Teams that touches the 8x8 network will be captured and available in 8x8 Analytics.
Information that will not be captured in 8x8 Analytics includes:
- Calls placed between Microsoft Teams users
- Device Status / Call Quality information for Microsoft Teams endpoints
Do any limitations exist for business applications such as CRM integrations?
The following features are not available when using Microsoft Teams along with 8x8 and any CRM or other business application:
- Auto Answer on outbound calls is not possible.
- The Answer/Accept button from the 8x8 Maestro integrations works only with desk phones that are not on the Microsoft Teams network.
Can I transfer to a ring group or call queue using Microsoft Teams?
- Direct transfer to a call queue or ring group is supported.
- Consultative transfer is not supported.
If a Teams user calls another Teams user by dialing their 8x8 DID, is that call tracked and recorded by 8x8?
- No, those calls are not tracked or recorded by 8x8.
Is Microsoft Teams voicemail compatible with 8x8 voicemail?
No. Microsoft Teams voicemail must be disabled to allow calls to route to 8x8 voicemail.
How do I retrieve and listen to voicemails?
- Because 8x8 is used to capture voicemails, those voicemails will be delivered via email.
- Voicemails are not available to be viewed in the MS Teams client.
Can calls using 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams be recorded?
- Any call that uses the 8x8 network can be recorded, such as Teams to or from the PSTN, or Teams to and from 8x8.
- Direct calls between Microsoft Teams users cannot be recorded.
Are there any limitations to extension dialing?
Although you can dial any 8x8 extension in Microsoft Teams, it’s important to note these limitations associated with extension dialing:
- Teams-to-Teams user calls will not be monitored, recorded or reported on by 8x8 even though they may look and feel like extension calls to a user.
- Consultative Transfer to Call Queue extensions is not supported.
- Consultative Transfer to Ring Group extensions is not supported.
Does 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams support call quality analytics?
- No. Because user endpoints (soft clients, or Microsoft Teams phones) are on the Microsoft Teams network, 8x8 cannot monitor the quality of those endpoints. However, Microsoft does provide some statistics on the quality over the Teams to O365 portion of the call.
How is Microsoft Teams presence handled with 8x8?
- As 8x8 has no visibility into Microsoft Teams presence information, users can still receive calls when they are not available, whether they set that manually or if they are on a Teams call or in a Teams meeting.
- With the availability of new Microsoft presence APIs, 8x8 is looking at adding reciprocal presence indication as part of the 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams product roadmap.
Are Emergency Services supported with 8x8 Voice for Teams?
- Standard Configurable address per user is provided by 8x8.
- Support for dynamic location is not available.
Is 8x8 Call Park supported?
- Teams users will not be able to leverage 8x8 Call Park.
Is overhead paging supported?
- Yes, overhead paging is supported.
Is speech analytics supported in 8x8 Voice for Microsoft Teams?
- Speech analytics is a feature available as part of 8x8’s Contact Center solution. Calls handled by 8x8 Contact Center can be recorded and analyzed via speech analytics.