Presence is part of a user's profile, and indicates their current availability and status to other users. By default, anyone in your organization using a specific application can see if other users are available online.
The 8x8 Presence Sync enables the integration of Microsoft Teams Presence into your 8x8 applications. While using an 8x8 application you can now see if specific users or stakeholders in your organization are available online or engaged in another Teams call or conference. Presence is updated in real time on the web and desktop versions.
The 8x8 Presence Sync aggregation service polls your Microsoft directory for Presence changes every 10 seconds and then publishes the collected aggregated updates to the stream.
- The Presence Sync integration is a one-way process from Microsoft to your 8x8 applications.
- It provides only presence status indication of Teams users, and does not affect call routing.
- In order to sync and integrate Presence between Microsoft Teams and your 8x8 apps, you must have an 8x8 Unified Communications (UC) user with the email matching that of Microsoft user whose Presence is synced. (Your 8x8 email address must match your Microsoft username.) This requirement is met by default for customers using the 8x8 Voice for Teams service.
Use of Presence with 8x8 Voice for Teams is optional. However, it's recommended in the following usage scenarios:
- Hybrid environments: Some users are using Microsoft Teams, and others use 8x8 Work.
- 8x8 Contact Center: Microsoft Teams Presence as part of Expert Connect.
- 8x8 Work for Desktop: Switchboard Pro or Work Operator implementations.
- Without Voice for Teams offering: Each user is running both Microsoft Teams (for collaboration and conferencing) and 8x8 Work for Desktop.
In order to use the Presence integration with Microsoft Teams, you must have administrator level access for the following:
- Microsoft Azure Active Directory (AD) with Microsoft Office 365 Global admin access
- 8x8 Admin Console
Note: A Microsoft user license or a Phone System license is not required for the Presence sync.
Create Sync User
To enable 8x8 Presence Sync integration, you must first create a separate Sync user account in Microsoft Azure Active Directory. The Sync user you create is strictly associated with the Presence Sync process to facilitate Presence integration into your 8x8 apps.
- Log in to the Microsoft Azure AD admin center.
- Create a new user to sync and integrate Microsoft Teams Presence into your 8x8 apps:
- Select Users from the left menu.
- Click + New User.
- Select Create user, complete the information in the blank Identity and Password fields.
- 8x8 recommends using 8x8.status@<customer-domain> as the user name for ease of identification.
- In the Password field, you can either auto-generate or create your own user password.
- The remaining New User field details (such as Settings, Job info, etc) are not required.
- Click Create.
- Make a note of the username and password that you have created. You'll need them in the next section.
Assigning Application Developer Role to the New 8x8 Status User
If the option Users can consent to apps accessing company data on their behalf is set to No in Azure > Enterprise applications > User settings > Enterprise applications, you will need to perform one of the following before proceeding:
- EITHER temporarily change this setting to Yes, and then change it back to No after the Presence Sync app installation is complete.
- OR grant the new 8x8 Status user appropriate rights to consent, before you proceed. Please see the instructions for this, below.
Important: If this option is already set to Yes, then you can proceed directly to Install the Presence Sync Integration.
For detail on this subject, please see the Microsoft article located here.
Assign the Application Developer Role to the 8x8 Status User
- Once the 8x8 Status user has been created using the process above, click on the 8x8 Status user name from the Users list.
- Click on Assigned roles.
- Click + Add assignments.
- Check the box next to Application developer, then click Add at the bottom of the page.
- It may take Microsoft a minute or so to complete the request. Click Refresh periodically, until the Application developer role assignment appears.
- You may now proceed to Install the Presence Sync Integration.
Note: Leave your Microsoft Azure AD portal open after Sync user creation. You'll need to access it during the Presence Sync integration process, below.
Install the Presence Sync Integration
Complete the following procedure to install the 8x8 Presence Sync integration with Microsoft Teams:
- Using your 8x8 Admin Console credentials, log in to the 8x8 Teams Presence Integration page at:
- Click Login on the 8x8 Teams Presence Integration page.
- At the Microsoft Pick an account login prompt, log in using the new 8x8 Status Microsoft user credentials that you just created in the steps above.
- Do not log in at this point using your Microsoft administrator account.
Note: If Microsoft prompts you to update your new 8x8 Status user's password, simply make the requested change and continue with the login process.
- When the Permissions requested prompt appears, click Accept to confirm access permissions to the specified areas of your Sync profile.
The Logged in Account page displays the options to Verify or Disable the Presence integration.
- Click Verify Presence integration.
- Initially Presence is not yet synced, so you will see the following message displayed in the information field:
- Admin Consent Needed
In Azure Active Directory admin center, go to Enterprise applications > 8x8 Presence > Permissions and click on Grant admin consent to <Company domain>. button.
- Return to your logged-in Microsoft Azure Portal in order to grant access permissions to the Sync user you have created.
- Be sure to select your Microsoft Azure administrator credentials, not the 8x8 Status user.
- In the Microsoft Azure admin center, navigate to Enterprise applications > 8x8 Presence > Permissions.
- Click Grant admin consent for <Company domain> to grant admin access to the Sync user.
- When you are again prompted to log in, select your Microsoft Azure Administrator login credentials.
- Do not log in using the 8x8 Status user you created earlier. The purpose of this step is for an administrator to authenticate the 8x8 Presence application for use on the service.
- In the Permissions Requested popup window, click Accept to confirm access permissions to the specified areas of your Sync profile.
- Note: You must accept the permission request for the Presence Sync integration to work.
- Now return to the Logged in Account window as shown in the next step, below.
- If you've closed the Logged in Account window and need to log in again, follow the login process outlined in steps 1, 2, and 3 of this section, above. Then return here to follow the final steps, below.
- Now click the Permission granted. Try again button below the Admin Consent Needed banner.
- If you are prompted to log in again, select the 8x8 Status user ID (not your Microsoft Azure administrator ID).
- Click View Presence integration.
The Logged in Account page should now display Integration verified, and the process is now complete.
If required, you can disable the 8x8 Presence integration by clicking Disable 8x8 Presence integration.
Presence mapping from Microsoft Teams
The following table describes the Presence mapping from Microsoft Teams.