8x8 is introducing a mechanism to generate an API key and use it to authenticate into the 8x8 API gateway. This allows you to access many of the developer-facing 8x8 APIs. As a developer, you may want to create one or multiple applications interacting with one or more 8x8 APIs. In the 8x8 Admin Console, you can now create an app which in turn generates an API key and a secret code. Use this key to further authenticate into the specific APIs selected.
We currently support authentication for Cloud Storage API and Chat API.
- 8x8 Admin Console
Assign API Key permission to users
To manage API access keys, a user first needs access to this permission through Roles and Permissions.
This permission is enabled for users of the default Company Admin Role or a custom role can be created for specific users using the application: 8x8 Admin Console and the permission: Application Credentials.
Create an app for the API
- From the menu, go to API Keys.
- Click Create app.
- Enter a name for the app.
- Select the API/s from the list of available APIs.
- Save the app. This automatically generates the API key.
To fetch the API key for the app
- Go to the list of apps listed under the API Keys.
- Select to edit the app you just created.
- Note that the API key and the secret code are now visible in the protective mode.
- Click to view the key and the code.
- Copy and store the key for authentication.
To revoke access to any of the supported 8x8 API
You can simply delete the app to remove access to the API. Deleting the app revokes the API key and blocks access to the APIs selected in the app.
After fetching the API key, go to https://developer.8x8.com, select the API you wish to use, and use the key to authenticate the API calls.
To create a 'Call Recordings' API Key and Secret, the user must first have the 'Storage API' assignment. This assignment is granted by the Super Admin.