Managing Admin Console Users
Note: To onboard new users in Account Manager, the legacy version of Admin Console, click here.
To learn how to manage the basics for Admin Console users. Such as:
- Onboarding and Offboarding
- Additional 8x8 Work Features
- Configuring Voicemail
Account services are set for each user at the user level. Administrators control the account and all onboarding and offboarding tasks, and determine what actions users can take, such as accessing 8x8 Work Online, Desktop, and Mobile, dialing internationally, recording calls, and making account changes.
- Admin Console
- User Configuration
How do I onboard new users?
The basic steps in onboarding new users are creating a user profile, giving the user an extension, and activating their desk phone. The user profile establishes their account details, and the extension serves as their contact number within your network.
Once you set up a user profile, the new user will receive a welcome email and can reset their password. To begin the user onboarding process, follow the steps below.
- Claim phone numbers to select the numbers you will assign to your users.
- Create a user profile to add your user's name and email address, and to link their phone services to their individual user profile.
- Assign your users to 8x8 services and extensions so that they have a number to receive and make calls. If applicable, set up the following:
- Call Forwarding: If desired, define call forwarding rules for when the user is unable to answer, or in the case of an internet outage.
- If the user has a desk phone, you must activate their phone so they are able to receive calls. Click here for a list of user guides for 8x8 phones and equipment.
- Define outbound calling options. Here you restrict a user's calling abilities to domestic calls only, or allow them to make international calls.
For more information, view our guides on setting up your account.
How do I offboard a user?
To offboard a user no longer with the company, you can disable their profile and reset their extension. See the article on clearing user profiles and resetting extensions for more details.
- Add your user to a Ring Group. Ring Groups are collections of extensions to which calls can be forwarded. This feature will allow your calls to be routed to a group of extensions, so you can forward calls to various teams or departments.
- Set up your Auto Attendant options for the user. This can include adding them to the company directory, turning on the dial-by-name feature for their extension, or setting the Auto Attendant to forward calls to their extension.
- Add your user as an agent in a Call Queue. A call queue allows incoming calls to be handled in the order received by the first available agent. Specify your user's number as a primary or secondary extension. A primary extension is an initial contact for the call queue and the secondary extension acts as an overflow if the queue is full.
Edit your voicemail password. Typically, voicemail passwords are set by your account administrator upon creation of your account. You can change your password using 8x8 Work Desktop or your phone.