Description & Download
Recommended Installers (64-Bit)
EXE for per-user deployment: Allows users to install and update on their own, keeping you up-to-date and secure with the latest features and fixes. (Click here to learn more about managing installation for Windows.)
Only if Needed
Version 6.9.3 (6) published on 7/1/20.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating System
- Windows 7 and newer
*Click here for important information about Windows 7 support.
- MacOS 10.10 and newer
*Click here for important information about macOS X Yosemite support.
- Windows 7 and newer
- Hardware Requirements
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB of available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Browser Compatibility
- Internet Explorer 9.0 or newer
- Google Chrome 5.0 or newer
- Firefox 2.0 or newer
- Safari 3.0 or newer
- Minimum 1.5 Mbps down/up (Cable modem, DSL, or better)
For a complete list of requirements, refer to the Technical Requirements.
What's new in this release?
The key features in Virtual Office Desktop v 6.9 are:
Core & Voice
- Incoming call popup overhaul
- InCall UX productivity overhaul (e.g. easier to Promote Call to Meeting)
- Option to easily transfer from Call Logs and Directory
- New Profile panel to replace native menu
- Default hidden native menu on Windows
- Quit app via the Windows taskbar icon
- One-click presence change via the Windows taskbar icon
- Proactive DND user awareness
- User control on feedback screenshots
- SMP Account Settings opened outside VOD in the default browser
- Settings > Audio & Video guiding to the Meetings area
- [Meet Now] icon in the 1:1 chat header
- New [Meet now] new video icon
- Enhanced display results for the Expert Finder bot
- Enhanced tooltip UX (with 8x8/oxygen-tooltip)
Download for Windows
8x8 provides two VOD packages for Windows. The two packages are fundamentally different, using different deployment and update mechanisms. 8x8 strongly recommends employing the EXE installer, as it ensures that users are easily able to enjoy the latest fixes, features, and security enhancements available in VOD.
Engineering and developmental support of VOD for Windows 7 ended February 12, 2020. Click here for details.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment (Recommended)
The EXE version allows users to self-install and upgrade without need for central management, providing the best and most seamless user experience.
What to Consider
- EXE version will be installed to %LOCALAPPDATA%.
- Automatic updates are downloaded and installed for the user. (In previous versions, users were prompted to install the update.)
- No need for maintenance — VOD will keep itself up-to-date and secure.
- VOD will check for updates every time the user signs in or once every 24 hours. Users can also check for updates manually. The updates are downloaded in the background without user intervention
- If there is an update to be installed, VOD will apply the update automatically when the user signs into VOD. If the user has not installed an update three days after it was downloaded, they will see a Relaunch to Install banner. They can click the link and install the update.
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation
For companies that must strictly control software installs and updates, the Windows Installer file (MSI) package installs Virtual Office Desktop (VOD) machine-wide to the Program Files folder. By installing in the Program Files folder, it can be used by multiple users on one computer. Click here to learn more about managing VOD installations and updates.
Download for Mac
Click the button below to download and install Virtual Office Desktop for macOS (DMG file).
Note: The VOD macOS app auto-update mechanism works only for users with admin privileges. Non-admin users will need to manually update VOD.
Engineering and developmental support of VOD for macOS X Yosemite ended October 16, 2019. Click here for details.
- For issues with installation on Windows, try running Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.
- After installing or starting Virtual Office Desktop, if you see an error message about a missing file such as MSVCR100.dll or mfc100.dll, click here to install the required file from Microsoft.
Previous Versions of Virtual Office Desktop
If for some reason you are unable to use the latest version of VOD, you can download the previous GA release here.