Description & Download
Virtual Office Desktop is a comprehensive unified communications application that integrates a business softphone with visual voicemail, corporate directory, instant messaging, presence, fax, call recording, and video meetings—all in a standalone desktop application. Click the buttons below to download Virtual Office Desktop for your Windows or Mac computer.
EXE for Windows: Allows all users to install and update on their own, keeping you up-to-date and secure with the latest features and fixes. (Click here to learn more about managing installation for Windows.)
Version 6.6.2 (9) published on 2/3/20.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating System
- Windows 7 and newer
*Click here for important information about Windows 7 support.
- MacOS 10.10 and newer
*Click here for important information about macOS X Yosemite support.
- Windows 7 and newer
- Hardware Requirements
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB of available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Browser Compatibility
- Internet Explorer 9.0 or newer
- Google Chrome 5.0 or newer
- Firefox 2.0 or newer
- Safari 3.0 or newer
- Minimum 1.5 Mbps down/up (Cable modem, DSL, or better)
For a complete list of requirements, refer to the Technical Requirements.
What's new in this release?
The key features in Virtual Office Desktop v 6.6 are:
Core & Voice
- Auto-Away presence after the user-configured period of PC inactivity.
- Affinity based Search for contacts (more often engaged users ranked higher in the search result). Only 8x8 contacts for now.
- [Windows only] Flash then app taskbar icon to avoid missing notifications.
- Temporarily suppress desktop notification content while in a Meeting.
- Inform the user is on the Alpha/Beta update channel.
- Proper handling of locked and multiple extensions for FAX use-cases.
- Integrate desk phone with an 8x8 Video Meeting.
- Show the full count of Read receipts on a message instead of limiting it to 30 as it was in previous messages.
- Ability to retry failed file uploads.
- Ability to request app debug-logs without user interaction (troubleshooting).
- Call on Hold can be promoted to a meeting but the other party doesn't get full 8x8 Video Meetings experience and is only joined with Audio.
- Users on macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) will not be able to select Call using Computer or be able to select a headset of their choice because a third-party library that supports Call Control with Jabra, Plantronics and Sennheiser headsets are not compatible with macOS. Call using will default to Deskphone instead. This issue will not be fixed for macOS Yosemite as Engineering and development for it ended on Oct 16th 2019. Click here for details.
Workaround: Upgrade to a later version of macOS.
- [Windows only] Receiving a new message momentarily restores the VOD window then minimizes it, when VOD was closed using close window (X)
- [Windows only] VOD becomes completely black after a computer unlock (it happens intermittently and rarely). Workaround: restart VOD
- After deleting the text in the search field, quickly starting to enter another search term, sometimes results in the first letter of the input being deleted
- [Mac only] When installing an update, the Dock icon closes after about 15 seconds in some cases.
- Status does not revert from "Away" on user activity. Workaround: restart VOD.
- Fixes intermittent issues with using touch tones during a PSTN call, or when connected to an IVR system and SRTP is enabled on the extension.
Download for Windows
8x8 provides two VOD packages for Windows. The two packages are fundamentally different, using different deployment and update mechanisms. 8x8 strongly recommends employing the EXE installer, as it ensures that users are easily able to enjoy the latest fixes, features, and security enhancements available in VOD.
Engineering and developmental support of VOD for Windows 7 ended February 12, 2020. Click here for details.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment (Recommended)
The EXE version allows users to self-install and upgrade without need for central management, providing the best and most seamless user experience.
What to Consider
- EXE version will be installed to %LOCALAPPDATA%.
- Automatic updates are downloaded and installed for the user. (In previous versions, users were prompted to install the update.)
- No need for maintenance — VOD will keep itself up-to-date and secure.
- VOD will check for updates every time the user signs in or once every 24 hours. Users can also check for updates manually. The updates are downloaded in the background without user intervention
- If there is an update to be installed, VOD will apply the update automatically when the user signs into VOD. If the user has not installed an update three days after it was downloaded, they will see a Relaunch to Install banner. They can click the link and install the update.
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation
For companies that must strictly control software installs and updates, the Windows Installer file (MSI) package installs Virtual Office Desktop (VOD) machine-wide to the Program Files folder. By installing in the Program Files folder, it can be used by multiple users on one computer. Click here to learn more about managing VOD installations and updates.
Download for Mac
Click the button below to download and install Virtual Office Desktop for macOS (DMG file).
Note: The VOD macOS app auto-update mechanism works only for users with admin privileges. Non-admin users will need to manually update VOD.
Engineering and developmental support of VOD for macOS X Yosemite ended October 16, 2019. Click here for details.
- For issues with installation on Windows, try running Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.
- After installing or starting Virtual Office Desktop, if you see an error message about a missing file such as MSVCR100.dll or mfc100.dll, click here to install the required file from Microsoft.