How to Configure Barge-Monitor-Whisper for 8x8 Work in Account Manager (legacy)
Note: To configure Barge-Monitor-Whisper for 8x8 Admin Console, click here.
8x8 Work Barge Service allows enabled "supervisor" extensions to optionally listen in on any active call in your 8x8 phone system; "whisper" exclusively to the extension user being monitored (without the other party hearing); and actively join the call, making it a 3-way conference.
Extensions must be enabled for this service individually in Account Manager by an 8x8 account administrator. Barge services are only available to the extensions they have been purchased for. The service is assigned to the extension(s) at time of order. (Only extensions directly associated with a desk phone or softphone may be enabled for this service.)
In Account Manager, you can also create lists of extensions available to be monitored, and restrict monitoring of certain extensions.
To configure a Barge-Monitor-Whisper Supervisor Extension in Account Manager
- Log in to Account Manager.
- Click Phone System > View All Extensions.
- Locate the extension for which Barge Service was purchased and assigned, then click Edit.
- Scroll down and click to expand the Barge Permissions section.
- Configure settings as desired.
- Manage Barge List(s) - Click to create a list(s) extensions able to be monitored (aka white lists). (See below.)
- Barge Tone Enabled - When checked, an audible tone will play to the other extension when you begin monitoring their call.
- Barge Password Enabled - When checked, you will be required to enter your extension voicemail password to initiate monitoring. (Useful for extensions connected to endpoints and phones in a non-secure area.)
- Select the option for the list of extensions allowed to be Barge:
- All - All extensions in your phone system may be monitored by this extension.
- List - Only those extensions set in the Barge List(s) (see below) may be monitored by this extension.
- Off - No extensions may be monitored by this extension.
- When you are done, click Save Changes.
To create a list of extensions that may be monitored by a Barge-enabled extension
- Access the enabled extension as described above.
- In the Barge Permissions section, click the Manage Barge List(s) button.
- Click Create New List.
- In the pop-up View/Edit List window, name your list and add extensions to it using the checkboxes. (Use the top checkbox to select all.) You can also use the search bar to look for individual extensions.
- Click Save to save your list. (If you are editing an existing list, click Update to save your changes.)