Note: To set One Number Access (Advanced Call Forwarding) in 8x8 Admin Console, click here.
One Number Access (ONA) is an advanced call forwarding rule that allows inbound calls to be diverted to other phones in a specific order or sequentially. The first phone to pick up receives the call. Like Ring Groups, other extensions may be called when a caller dials a single number. Unlike Ring Groups, ONA allows calls to route to external numbers, enable call screening, and set a specific time for each hop. Since ONA is an extension-specific rule, the rule will take effect every time that particular extension is dialed.
Setting One Number Access in Account Manager
To set One Number Access in Account Manager
- Log in to your Account Manager.
- Click Phone System > View All Extensions > View.
- To the left of the extension on which you want to set the rule, click Edit.
- Scroll down and click + Call Forwarding to open the Call Forwarding menu.
- Depending on when you want the call to be forwarded (e.g., Always, Busy, No Answer, Internet Outage), check the corresponding box in the third column titled, Forward to One Number Access.
- After checking the box in the Forward to One Number Access column, a new table will appear. This table is where you will set the forwarding rules the call will follow.
- Ring Distribution: This sets how the call will be routed. The Sequential option will ring the phones one at a time based on the order listed, while the Simultaneous option rings all the phones at the same time.
- Call Screening: When enabled, a caller must record his or her name before the 8x8 system will route the call. Members of the ONA list have the option to accept or decline the call after hearing the caller's name.
- To set the phone numbers to be called when the ONA call forwarding rule is in effect, list the extension numbers or phone numbers in the Destination Number section.
- If the Ring Distribution is set to Sequential, the members of the ONA group will be called according to how they are listed. Note: If ONA is selected as the rule for Always Forward, the extension number must be listed if host extension is to be rung as well.
- Also, if the Ring Distribution is set to Sequential, the time each phone will ring can be adjusted by entering the number of seconds in the column titled, Ring for X Number of Seconds. This is helpful if certain extensions, such as the host extension, should have longer to answer the call than other extensions. Note: Calls will follow the rules set on the dialed phone number. Be sure the number of seconds in the ONA is less than the No Answer Forward of the member extension or the rules on the member extension will take control of the call.
- If the Voicemail Password Required box is checked, members of the ONA group will need to enter their voicemail password before they can accept a call.
- Click the green + button to add another phone number. Click the red – button to remove a phone number.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the screen.
Setting One Number Access in 8x8 Work for Desktop
To set One Number Access in 8x8 Work for Desktop
- Navigate to 8x8 Work for Desktop > Preferences > Settings.
- Select Account Settings.
- Select the Call Fowarding tab.
- Click + Add New Rule.
- Set the rule name to something that describes the purpose of the rule (e.g., One Number Access).
- Call From: If this rule should affect all calls into your extension, leave the check box labeled Anyone checked. If only specific numbers should follow this rule, un-check the Anyone box and check the box next to Or any of the phone numbers listed below. Enter specific phone numbers with the full 10-digit number and click Add. Note: Area codes can be filters by entering the first four numbers (1 + area code).
- Date and Time: This tab allows you to select the time frame this rule should take effect. You may choose from Anytime, a Specified date/time period, or Recurring schedule.
- Forward To: This tab allows you to select where calls will be directed. The host extension is already in the first position, so the host extension will ring as part of the ONA group. To add new numbers, enter the extension number or full 10-digit phone number (if an external number is to be included). Note: Auto attendants, ring groups, and call queues are not allowed as destinations.
- After you have added the Forward To number, click Add.
- Select the Ring Distribution pattern the call forwarding will take by selecting either Sequentially or Simultaneously to the right of Ring these numbers. If the Ring Distribution is set to Sequential, the time each phone will ring can be adjusted by entering the number of seconds in the column titled, Ring For (seconds). This is helpful if certain extensions, such as the host extension, should have longer to answer the call than other extensions. Note: Calls will follow the rules set on the dialed phone number. Be sure the number of seconds in the ONA is less than the No Answer Forward of the member extension or the rules on the member extension will take control of the call.
- Select what the call will do after all phones in the ONA group have been rung and no one picked up. Click the drop-down after Forward calls to. You have the option to select an Auto Attendant, Ring Group, Call Queue, Other (enter the extension number), or Drop Call.
- Click OK.
- The new rule will appear in your call forwarding table. Multiple rules will be applied in descending order from top to bottom.
- Click Save.