If your organization keeps track of customers on a site or in an application, you can configure the Work for Desktop app to bring up additional information on the call number in your browser.
Based on the phone number of an incoming call, the system extracts more information from a URL that you specify. For example, search for call number information on ServiceNow or Google, and view more context about the caller or the intended callee before you accept the call.
Let's say that the Acme Health organization uses an application to keep track of their customers, so that customer information is always on hand.
By entering a URL appropriate to their application in the Work for Desktop app, an agent or receptionist can set up call info pop-up to display one of the following:
- Caller info pop-up: As an agent answering a call on behalf of the Acme Health veterinary branch, you can quickly view details on a caller, such as their last appointment, their pet's health history, and much more!
- Callee info pop-up: As a receptionist for the greater Acme Health clinic, you can instantly identify whether a call is intended for the pediatric unit, the veterinary branch, or more!
Now you can enable pop-ups for outbound calls as well as inbound calls. This feature is available only in 8x8 Work for Desktop v7.10 and higher.
- Work for Desktop
To set up caller or callee info pop-up:
- In the Settings tab, go to Caller info pop-up.
- Enter a web or application URL with a search query to search for a caller or callee number. In our example, we create a URL that searches for any information related to the phone number on https://www.google.com.
- Start the search string by entering a specific site or app base URL (in our case, <https://www.google.com/>).
- Append a search query appropriate to the base URL (for https://www.google.com, we enter the query <#q=>).
- Finish the search string by appending the request for the phone number:
- Caller information: %%CallerNumber%%
- Callee information: %%CalleeNumber%%
- Once you enter your URL, you see options to:
- Select which number format you want to use for the search that runs automatically in the pop-up. Depending on which site or application you are referencing in your URL, different number formats are more effective than others for producing useful information. Most users in the United States may prefer National format, and most European users would use E164, but ensure that the number format you are using is the same format that works best for the site or app referenced in your URL.
- View a pop-up while an incoming call is still ringing, or only have the pop-up appear once you answer the call.
- Click to enable (blue) or disable (gray) the option for Pop-up also when placing outbound calls, depending on your need. This option is disabled by default.
- Note: This feature is available only in 8x8 Work for Desktop v7.10 and higher.
- Your URL and selected number format are saved automatically; all incoming calls you receive are accompanied by a caller or callee info pop-up in your browser based on your URL.
Note: If the caller ID is blocked by the caller, the URL is unable to pull up information based on a number, and no caller info pop-up appears.