How do I configure my Cisco (Linksys) RVS4000 router?
The purpose of this article is to provide a sample configuration. At the time of article creation, this device was in a known working state on the firmware used.
Keep in mind different firmware versions will interact with hosted VoIP services in different ways. While this device may be fully functional on the tested and/or current firmware version, it is possible newer revisions will cause disruptions in service or make a device fully compliant with the required settings for hosted VoIP services where it was previously not.
Cisco (Linksys) RVS4000 Router
Note: Linksys has been acquired by Cisco, so this router may be referred to by either manufacturer.
- Make sure your router is powered on and connected to your network.
- In a browser on a computer on the same network as the router, navigate to the following IP address: 192.168.1.1.
- Log in (default credentials shown below).
- Username: admin
- Password: admin
Latest firmware: 188.8.131.52
Adding/editing 8x8 subnets is recommended when available. Please click here and review the Traffic Shaping and Specific Subnet/Port Configuration section. (Login required.)
- Go to Firewall > Basic Settings.
- Enable Firewall and Block WAN Request.
- Disable SIP Application Layer Gateway.
- Click Save.
- Go to QoS > Bandwidth Management.
- Enable Bandwidth Management.
- Enter the approximate upload speed in the Upstream box:
- For DSL, use 80% of the maximum throughput.
- For Cable or a dedicated line (T1), use 90% of the maximum throughput.
- Configure port priority.
- Enable these services.
- Click Save.
Ports, Subnets, and DSCP Values for Cisco Routers
Here are some values users can add to their Cisco configuration file. If subnets are set to high priority or open, specific UDP traffic passing through those subnets does not need to individually be listed.
Under Class Definitions, add:
- match access-group 2000
- match access-group 2001
- match access-group 2003
Under Access List Definitions, add:
- access-list 2000 permit udp any any dscp ef
- access-list 2001 permit udp any any dscp af31
- access-list 2003 permit udp any 184.108.40.206 0.0.0.255
- access-list 2003 permit udp any 220.127.116.11 0.0.0.255
- access-list 2003 permit udp any 18.104.22.168 0.0.1.255
- access-list 2003 permit udp any 22.214.171.124 0.0.0.255
- access-list 2003 permit udp 126.96.36.199 0.0.0.255 any
- access-list 2003 permit udp 188.8.131.52 0.0.0.255 any
- access-list 2003 permit udp 184.108.40.206 0.0.1.255 any
- access-list 2003 permit udp 220.127.116.11 0.0.0.255 any