PC Port Troubleshooting in Poly IP Phones
A computer connected to a Poly IP phone via the PC port is not getting a connection. The phone itself functions normally.
- Poly IP phones
As you proceed through each step, re-test for an Internet connection. If at any point a connection is established, you can conclude troubleshooting.
- Plug the computer directly into the router. Does it get an Internet connection?
- No: There may be a problem with either the computer or the network itself.
- Yes: The issue is likely isolated to the phone or the Ethernet cable used to connect it to the PC. Proceed to the next step.
- To confirm the phone is functioning normally, run a ping test from the phone.
- On the phone, press Menu > Status > Diagnostics > Network > Ping.
- For Host, enter: 18.104.22.168 (Use [ * ] for [ . ])
- Press Start.
- If a valid reply is received, the phone is properly communicating with the network. If not, ensure the phone is properly connected to the network and able to make and receive calls.
- With the computer plugged into the phone's PC port, ping the network from the computer.
- Open a command prompt and ping 10.192.8.120.
- Do you get a valid reply?
- No: This confirms a malfunction within the phone or the cable connecting the phone and the PC. Proceed to Step 4 below.
- Yes: This should confirm that all physical components are working properly. Proceed to Step 5 below.
- Try using a different Ethernet cable. In particular, ensure you are using a straight through (or "patch") Ethernet cable and not a crossover Ethernet cable, which the phones do not have the built-in logic to accommodate. (Click here for more on how to tell the difference.)
- Check the PC port settings on the phone itself.
- Press Menu > Settings > Advanced.
- Enter admin password.
- Press Admin Settings > Network Configuration > Ethernet Menu > PC Port Mode.
- Ensure that PC Port Mode is not set to Disabled. If not set already, try setting it to Auto. If it is already set to Auto, troubleshoot with other settings according to phone model as listed below.
- SoundPoint IP 335: 10 HD or 10 FD.
- SoundPoint IP 550, 560, 670: 100 HD or 100 FD.
- VVX Series: 1000FD.
There are several possible causes for this problem:
- Network setup or another network device.
- A faulty Ethernet cable.
- Phone settings or configuration.
- A bad port on the phone.