The purpose of this article is to provide a sample configuration. At the time of article creation, this device was in a known working state on the firmware used.
Keep in mind different firmware versions will interact with hosted VoIP services in different ways. While this device may be fully functional on the tested and/or current firmware version, it is possible newer revisions will cause disruptions in service or make a device fully compliant with the required settings for hosted VoIP services where it was previously not.
SonicWall Old Interface
Tested on the following firmware versions:
- Firmware Version 6.5.x.x and later
Adding/editing 8x8 subnets is recommended when available. Please click here and review the Traffic Shaping and Specific Subnet/Port Configuration section. (Login required.)
We highly recommend consulting an IT or network professional when configuring advanced network settings or devices. NAT issues causing duplicate ports have been reported for firmware version 126.96.36.199.-1.9n.
See also: X Series Technical Requirements
Disable Consistent NAT and SIP Transformations
- Go to VoIP > Settings.
- Uncheck the boxes next to Enable Consistent NAT and Enable SIP Transformations.
Disable Stealth Mode and RTSP
- Go to Firewall Settings > Advanced.
- Uncheck the boxes next to Enable Stealth Mode and Enable RTSP Transformations.
Add 8x8 Subnets
- Go to Firewall > Address Objects.
- Click Add.
- Add each 8x8 subnet one at a time. (One example shown. For the full subnet list, see Virtual Office Technical Requirements.)
- Click the Address Groups tab.
- Click Add Group.
- Name the group 8x8 Subnets.
- Add each 8x8 subnet.
- Click OK.
Set Up Access Rules
- Go to Firewall > Access Rules.
- Click Add.
- Configure the General, Advanced, and QoS settings.
set the UDP Connection Inactivity Timeout (seconds): 660
- Click OK.
- SonicWall TZ400 requires Consistent NAT to be on. The exception to this would be if the TZ400 is on firmware version SonicOS Enhanced 188.8.131.52-35n. With this firmware version, disable Consistent NAT.
- Firmware version 6.2.3.x causes Duplicate UDP ports regardless of NAT settings.
- Firmware verion 6.2.7 has DPI (deep packet inspection) under access groups on NSA series, which causes CQ issues despite rules added in.
- Firmware verion 184.108.40.206 23n (and higher): 802.1p tagging breaks phone connectivity.