0X4020 Error Message Displayed on Poly IP Phones
Your Poly phone's screen shows the error 0x4020.
- Poly IP Phones
Check and Set Time Server
For this process, you will first need your phone's administrator password. After you have that, continue below.
On your phone:
- Press the Menu/Home button.
- Select Settings.
- Select Advanced.
- Enter phone password, then press Enter.
- Select Admin Settings.
- Select Network Configuration.
- Scroll down to SNTP and ensure the address is set to pool.ntp.org.
- Press OK (if time server had to be set), then press Back.
- Select Save Config.
- Back all the way out to the main screen.
If date and time continue to flash:
The SNTP may not be able to reach the designated time server. Instead of pool.ntp.org, try setting one of the following IP addresses:
Or ping pool.ntp.org and use the reply address as the SNTP address.
Set a Static IP
If manually setting the SNTP time server did not resolve the error, it may help to set a static IP on the phone. You can set a static IP either on the phone itself or via the phone's web interface (GUI).
Note: If available, we highly recommend consulting an IT or networking professional when dealing with network issues.
(For detailed instructions, see How do I set a static IP on my Poly phone through the web GUI?)
Before you begin
- Obtain the phone's password.
- Determine a static IP address to assign to the phone, as well as subnet and default gateway.
Set in Phone Web GUI (Recommended):
- Ensure the phone is powered on and connected to the network.
- In a web browser on a computer on the same network as the phone, enter the phone's IP address.
- Log in as Admin and enter phone password.
- Click Settings > Network > Ethernet.
- Set DHCP to Disable.
- Enter intended static IP address.
- Enter Subnet Mask.
- Enter IP Gateway.
- For DNS Server, enter: 126.96.36.199.
- For DNS Alt, enter: 188.8.131.52.
- On the bottom right, click Save.
- Wait for the phone to reboot. If it does not reboot, verify the information, then manually power-cycle the phone (remove it from the power source, wait at least a full minute, then plug it back in and power it on).
Set on Phone:
- Disable DHCP: Menu > Settings > Advanced > Admin Settings > Network Config > DHCP Client.
- Set static IP: Menu > Settings > Advanced > Admin Settings > Network Config.
- Set the following:
- IP address
- Subnet Mask
- DNS 1: 184.108.40.206
- DNS 2: 220.127.116.11
- Save settings by backing out and rebooting.
This error typically indicates that the time server needs to be programmed, or that the phone is unable to reach the time server.