System administrators can configure voicemail settings for any extension in Account Manager. Individual extension users can change their voicemail settings in Virtual Office Desktop or Virtual Office Online.
Changes can be made to voicemail settings on the phone through the voicemail options audio menu only after the initial voicemail password has been set up in Account Manager, Virtual Office Desktop, or Virtual Office Online.
Please note that there is no "default" voicemail password. If you have forgotten your password, you can reconfigure it in Virtual Office Desktop or Virtual Office Online, or contact your system administrator.
(Need to set up Ring Group voicemail? Click here!)
Note: Setting up voicemail for a Toll-Free Number or Virtual Number (such as your main company number) simply depends on what extension the number is pointing to. After that is established, you can proceed to set up voicemail for that extension using the steps provided below.
- Log in to Account Manager.
- Select Phone System > View All Extensions
- Find the extension whose voicemail options you wish to edit and click Edit Extension.
- On the Voicemail Settings line, click the + button. Here, you can edit:
- Voicemail Password – Numbers only, 4-15 digits. Your password cannot be repeating (0000) or sequential (1234), and cannot be the same as the extension number.
- Voicemail Notification Via Email – Choices include:
- Attachment Only (sends email with audio file attached)
- Notification Only (sends an email alert that you have received a new voicemail)
- Link & Attachment (sends an email with both an audio file attached and a link to your visual voicemail landing page online)
- Link Only (sends an email with a link to your visual voicemail landing page online)
- Attachment, Delete Orig. VM (sends an email with an audio attachment and automatically deletes the voicemail from your voicemail inbox)*
*Note: Customer assumes risk that a voicemail can be lost if their email is mishandled for any reason.
- Voicemail-to-Email Address – Enter the email address to which you would like notifications sent when your extension receives a voicemail.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Save Changes.
- Log in to either Virtual Office Desktop or Online.
- Click Virtual Office > Settings > My Services > Voicemail Settings.
- From here, you can:
- Enter the email address to which you would like alerts sent when your extension receives a voicemail.
- Disable/Enable email notification options.
- Select a Time Zone.
- Display current password.
- Enter a new password – Numbers only, 4-15 digits. Your password cannot be repeating (0000) or sequential (1234) numbers, and cannot be the same as the extension number.
- Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
Note: Voicemail cannot be configured in the settings of 8x8’s Virtual Office Mobile App. You may use the app to call in to your voicemail from your extension, then change your settings using the audio menu as described below.
Setting your voicemail password for the first time? From your own extension, dial 555, then press the # key. The system will first state, "This is not a valid password." Stay on the line and listen to the brief voicemail tutorial. At the end, follow the instructions to set a voicemail password.
- Access the voicemail system:
- From your own extension
Dial 555 and enter your voicemail password, followed by the # key.
- From another extension in your system
Dial 500, enter your extension number, then enter your voicemail password, followed by the # key.
- From an outside line*
Dial your 10-digit phone number. At your voicemail greeting, press the # key and enter your password, followed by the # key.
- Note: In your call forwarding rules, make sure “no answer” calls are set to go to voicemail.
- From your own extension
- Press the * key to enter the Main Menu.
Note: If you have no saved voicemail messages, you should enter the Main Menu automatically. You can skip this step.
- From the Main Menu:
- Press # to set your voicemail password for the first time.
- Press 1 to listen to your messages.
- Press 2 to change your greeting. Options include using just your first and last name; setting distinct internal (on-network) and external (off-network) greetings; and changing greetings to be used at certain times or occasions.
- Press 3 to change user preference options. Options include: change voicemail password; call waiting preferences; busy handling; ring no answer handling; Internet outage routing; and email notification preferences.
- Press 4 to establish or change call forwarding rules. Options include: listen to, set, change, or cancel call forwarding rules.
- Press 5 to set a specific greeting for business hours, after business hours, lunch time, meeting, weekend, and vacation.
- Press 6 to enable or disable “announcement only” mode (e.g., your vacation greeting).
- Press 9 to exit voicemail.
For a downloadable Quick Reference Guide to the voicemail phone menu, click here.
Once your voicemail is set up, dial 555 from your own extension to access it. (Click here for more options.)