The 8x8 Network Utility simulates phone calls from your location to 8x8 data centers and gives specific measurements indicating network performance. The tool takes a snapshot of characteristics of your network that affect VoIP call quality, including:
- DNS service
- Network path characteristics
- NAT/Firewall/Router characteristics
- Packet loss rates
- Jitter levels (changes in network traffic delivery times)
- Round trip network delay (latency) between your network and the 8x8 servers
If the Network Utility finds warnings, please work with 8x8 Technical Support to address them.
The Network Utility provides a snapshot of network settings and diagnostic results. While the test is comprehensive some network settings that affect phone service may not be captured in the test. In the event of issues occurring that are likely related to network configuration, the firewall configuration may still need to be reviewed despite passing the Network Utility test.
See also How to Read the Network Utility Results.
- Network Utility
There are several requirements before proceeding:
- An active 8x8 Virtual Office account.
- A Windows or Mac computer.
- Product activation key. (Please contact 8x8 Technical Support.)
- Download the Network Utility Tool.
- Open the User Guide in a new browser window for reference.
- On a computer on the network on which you are using (or intend to use) your 8x8 service, download the Network Utility software install version and install it on your computer (admin access required).
- Run the application, most use cases will require you to select and run "Baseline" at first.
- Work with your 8x8 Technical Support representative to review the results and make any recommended adjustments.
No Install version (Windows):
- On a computer on the network on which you are using (or intend to use) your 8x8 service, download the Network Utility software no install version.
- Extract the contents of the archive in a new folder (you'll need 7Zip, Winrar or similar software).
- Edit the NetUtil.ini file with a text editor like Notepad or similar and modify the key field with the one provided to you by 8x8 Support, edit also your company and site name.
- Open Command Prompt (search for cmd in the search field) and run cd C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\New folder if you, for example, extracted the files on a new folder on your desktop. Alternatively, you'll have to copy the file path from the folder location.
- Run 8x8NetUtil.exe
- Wait for the test to complete, do not close the Command Prompt window.