Description & Download
Recommended Installers (64-Bit)
EXE for per-user deployment: Allows users to install and update on their own, keeping you up-to-date and secure with the latest features and fixes. (Click here to learn more about managing installation for Windows.)
Only if Needed
Version 7.9.4 (2) published on 7/26/21.
- Operating System
- Windows 8 and newer
*Click here for important information about Windows 7 support.
- MacOS 10.13 and newer
*Click here for important information about macOS X Yosemite support.
- Windows 8 and newer
- Hardware Requirements
- 1.6 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 64-bit (x64) processor; 32-bit (x86) not recommended
- 4 gigabytes (GB) RAM (64-bit) recommended; minimum 2 GB RAM
- 20 GB of available hard-disk space (64-bit)
- Minimum 1.5 Mbps down/up or better (broadband wired or wireless)
- For HD video meetings minimum 2 Mbps
For a complete list of requirements, refer to the Technical Requirements.
What's new in this release?
Note for IT Admins: As of v 7.0, IT admins leveraging the EXE installer on Windows should consider updating firewall and antivirus rules since the Desktop application now features a new app file name and path on the disk.
The key features in Work for Desktop v 7.9 are:
The 8x8 Account Settings application is for Non-X Series users only and is a mandatory supplemental application to continue having the ability to adjust Voicemail settings, Call Forwarding rules, E911, and more. To download the application, click here.
Voice, Chat, Meetings & Core
- In-app product tutorial (onboard guided tour)
- System-default audio selection
- Tooltip on dial pad for making faster calls (desktop app only)
- Dedicated 8x8 Account Settings app for non X-Series users
- Allow IT admins to override selected app settings default values
- Fixed: Unblocking numbers blocked on mobile
- Fixed: Meetings screen sharing
Download for Windows
8x8 provides two Work for Desktop packages for Windows. The two packages are fundamentally different, using different deployment and update mechanisms. 8x8 strongly recommends employing the EXE installer, as it ensures that users are easily able to enjoy the latest fixes, features, and security enhancements available in Work for Desktop.
Engineering and developmental support of Work for Desktop for Windows 7 ended February 12, 2020. Click here for details.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment (Recommended)
The EXE version allows users to self-install and upgrade without the need for central management, providing the best and most seamless user experience.
What to Consider
- With a new application name and disk path as of Work for Desktop v 7.1, IT admins should consider updating firewall and antivirus rules for the app.
- EXE version will be installed to %LOCALAPPDATA%.
- Automatic updates are downloaded and installed for the user. (In previous versions, users were prompted to install the update.)
- No need for maintenance — Work for Desktop will keep itself up-to-date and secure.
- Work for Desktop will check for updates every time the user signs in or once every 24 hours. Users can also check for updates manually. The updates are downloaded in the background without user intervention
- If there is an update to be installed, Work for Desktop will apply the update automatically when the user signs into Work for Desktop. If the user has not installed an update three days after it was downloaded, they will see a Relaunch to Install banner. They can click the link and install the update.
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation
For companies that must strictly control software installs and updates, the Windows Installer file (MSI) package installs Work for Desktop machine-wide to the Program Files folder. By installing in the Program Files folder, it can be used by multiple users on one computer. Click here to learn more about managing Work for Desktop installations and updates.
Download for Mac
Click the button below to download and install Work for Desktop for macOS (DMG file).
Note: The Work for Desktop macOS app auto-update mechanism works only for users with admin privileges. Non-admin users will need to manually update Work for Desktop.
Engineering and developmental support of Work for Desktop for macOS X Yosemite ended October 16, 2019. Click here for details.
- For issues with installation on Windows, try running Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.
- After installing or starting Work for Desktop if you see an error message about a missing file such as MSVCR100.dll or mfc100.dll, click here to install the required file from Microsoft.
Previous Versions of Work for Desktop
If for some reason you are unable to use the latest version of Work for Desktop, you can download the previous GA release here.