In an effort to ensure your services and account information are protected with the highest priority, as well as to comply with FCC regulations, 8x8 Support exercises strict measures to identify callers into our help line. To protect you against unauthorized requests for Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) and system or account changes, all 8x8 Support interactions require that we verify two essential pieces of information about the individual contacting us:
- their identity as a customer
- their account role and privileges
- 8x8 Support
- 8x8 X Series
- 8x8 Work (formerly Virtual Office) legacy services
- 8x8 Contact Center standalone services
- 8x8 ContactNow standalone services
- 8x8/Packet8 Residential services
What do I need to request Support over the phone?
When you call 8x8 Support to request account information, ask for an account or system change to be made on your behalf, or to place an order, you will first be asked to provide all of the following to help identify you as an 8x8 customer:
- your company's name
- your first and last name
- your security passphrase
Support will then verify your roles and privileges to manage 8x8 your services in order for assistance to be provided.
Note: Simple or general questions that do not require specific account information or changes can typically be answered without the need for a security passphrase and privilege identification. Please note that answers to these types of questions are available here at support.8x8.com.
What if I don't know my passphrase or I don't have the right privileges?
If you are unable to verify your identity, or your roles/privileges are not sufficient for your request, our agents will still do their best to walk you through where you might make changes to your systems and services on your own.
What if I create a Support case or chat online?
You will only be required to complete identity verification (provide passphrase) when contacting 8x8 Support over the phone.. As cases submitted via the Support Portal or chat can only be done so after you log in as an 8x8 customer, this fulfills identity verification requirements.
If the nature of your request refers to account information, account or system changes to be made on your behalf, or placing an order, then Support will check your roles and privileges to manage your 8x8 services before providing assistance. If your assigned privileges are not sufficient for Support to offer assistance, we will elevate your request to your 8x8 primary system administrator.
How can I make sure my Support needs are taken care of?
In order to make your 8x8 Support experience as smooth as possible, we highly recommend you:
- Set a passphrase in the 8x8 Support Portal (X Series) or Account Manager (Virtual Office and Virtual Contact Center Classic).
- Ensure you and your users have the appropriate access privileges assigned in 8x8 Admin Console (X Series) or Account Mananger (Virtual Office and Virtual Contact Center Classic).
- Ensure user profiles have a proper first and last name instead of a generic filler name, such as ABC Company or Extension User.
- Carefully manage and regularly audit your 8x8 system users to ensure no one that has left the company continues to have access or authorization to contact 8x8 on the company’s behalf.
- Have a plan in case admins leave your company. Ensure someone always has 8x8 Admin Console/Account Manager access and knows the primary account passphrase -- and change the passphrase as soon as the primary admin leaves.
- Familiarize yourself and your admin users with 8x8 Admin Console/Account Manager, the 8x8 Support Portal, and the 8x8 Support Knowledge Base. You can easily make most changes on your own without waiting for assistance.
- Request support online web case or chat instead of over the phone – it’s easy to do, you’ll never wait on hold, and Support will call you back if needed.
What can happen if I don't take steps to secure my account?
At best, 8x8 Support may be unable to easily and positively confirm the identity and authority of callers requesting assistance with your services, making the process of getting help take longer.
At worst, loose management of passphrase and privileges—and the users who have them—can leave your system vulnerable to unauthorized billing and call routing changes that can damage your business and expose you to fraud. Whether due to internal misunderstanding (such as an inadvertently creating a call loop or misconfiguring extensions) or malicious intent (such as a former employee joining a competitor and purposely routing your calls away), access and management of your 8x8 system should be monitored and handled by specifically privileged personnel that can be positively identified by 8x8 Phone Support.
We look forward to continuing to serve you as securely and efficiently as possible, and appreciate you working with us as we do.