Description & Download
Virtual Office Desktop is a comprehensive unified communications application that integrates a business softphone with visual voicemail, corporate directory, instant messaging, presence, video calling, fax, call recording, and web conferencing—all in a standalone desktop application. Click the buttons below to Download Virtual Office Desktop for your Windows or Mac computer.
EXE version for per-user deployment: For users that have their own machines and can install upgrades on their own without their company controlling the updates they install. (Learn more.)
MSI for machine-wide installation: Installs VOD machine-wide to the Program Files folder. Best for companies that want to control the version that their users receive. (Learn more.) If the file downloads as a .exe, remove the .exe and try to download again.
Version 6.4.8 (4) published on 10/24/19.
Minimum System Requirements
- Operating System
- Windows 7 and newer
*Click here for important information about Windows 7 support.
- MacOS 10.10 and newer
*Click here for important information about macOS X Yosemite support.
- Windows 7 and newer
- Hardware Requirements
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB of available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Browser Compatibility
- Internet Explorer 9.0 or newer
- Google Chrome 5.0 or newer
- Firefox 2.0 or newer
- Safari 3.0 or newer
- Minimum 1.5 Mbps down/up (Cable modem, DSL, or better)
For a complete list of requirements, refer to the Technical Requirements.
What's new in this release?
The key features in Virtual Office Desktop v 6.4 are:
Core & Voice
- Easy audio device changes during a call via Call Using/ Headset.
- Directory remembers last view favorite and filters.
- Google Contacts without numbers (E-mail only) are also imported.
- Ability to pair your VOD with a meeting room for screen sharing when an 8x8 Video Meetings user and the room have the 8x8 Meeting Rooms software installed.
- Search for content within 1:1 message and room conversations.
- New emoji picker in conversation window with larger emoticons, ease of finding the most frequently used emoticons, and ability to search for an emoticon by name.
- Messages sent by a BOT (Eg: Sameroom) will show up with “VIA APP API” in the message title.
- Marking as Unread will move the Read Receipts for the user up, moving the unread watermark above the message and adjusting the “read receipt” published for the user to the previous message.
- Jump to First unread will now be displayed if there are any unread messages above the last displayed message.
- VOD Auto answer support for VCC agent in conjunction with VCC 9.9.
- Improved identification for Plantronics headsets.
- Disable auto-updates on Mac if the running user is not Admin account.
- Reduced the time for showing update notification when an update is available.
- Dynamically reloading the meeting provider when switching to 8x8 Video Meetings.
- Ring on incoming call, Secondary ring source, Ringtone, and Ringtone Volume settings appear with the default values after logging out and logging back in, even though they are working with the values set before logging out.
- VOD sometimes crashes when sending messages.
- Transfer to voicemail does not work for contacts with multiple phone numbers.
- When in compact mode, navigating to the Meetings tab in the navigation bar causes the application to expand.
- Users are not prompted with options to end the conference call when a call ends from multiple call views and instead, the call ends for all users.
Workaround: End the call from the In-call UI to see these options.
- In a sent message the More Options menu has hidden options if message height is more than the default.
Download for Windows
VOD provides two packages for Windows. The two packages are fundamentally different, using different deployment and update mechanisms. We recommend reading the following carefully before using either of them.
Engineering and developmental support of VOD for Windows 7 will end February 12, 2020. Click here for details.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment
The EXE version is meant for users that have their own machines and can install upgrades on their own without their company controlling the updates they install.
What to Consider
- EXE version will be installed to %LOCALAPPDATA%.
- Automatic updates are downloaded and installed for the user. In previous versions, users were prompted to install the update.
- No need for maintenance — VOD will keep itself up-to-date and secure.
- VOD will check for updates every time the user sign in or once every 24 hours or when they check for updates manually. The updates are downloaded in the background without user intervention
- If there is an update to be installed, VOD will apply the update automatically when the user signs into VOD. If the user has not installed an update three days after it was downloaded, they will see a Relaunch to Install banner. They can click the Relaunch to Install link and install the update.
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation
The Windows Installer file (MSI) package installs Virtual Office Desktop (VOD) machine-wide to the Program Files folder. By installing in the Program Files folder, it can be used by multiple users on one computer.
This package is best for companies that want to control the version that their users receive.
Download for Mac
Click the button below to download and install Virtual Office Desktop for macOS (DMG file).
Engineering and developmental support of VOD for macOS X Yosemite will end October 16, 2019. Click here for details.
- For issues with installation on Windows, try running Microsoft's Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.
- After installing or starting Virtual Office Desktop, if you see an error message about a missing file such as MSVCR100.dll or mfc100.dll, click here to install the required file from Microsoft.