Account services are set for each user at the extension level. Administrators control the account and all onboarding and offboarding tasks, and determine what actions users can take, such accessing Virtual Office Online, Desktop, and Mobile, dialing internationally, recording calls, and making account changes.
How do I onboard new users?
The basic steps in onboarding new users are creating a user profile, giving them an extension, and activating their desk phone. The user profile establishes their account details, and the extension serves as their contact number within your network. Once you set up a user account, the new user will receive a welcome email and can reset their password. (See this article to edit your password as an administrator.) You can also assign their extension to a branch, which will allow their calls to be routed more quickly. To begin the user onboarding process, follow the steps below.
- Create a user profile to add your user's name and email address, and to link their phone services to their individual user profile.
- Configure a user's Account Privileges. This step is for users who will act as secondary admins on your account. You should define what sections of the account the user will be able to access.
- Assign the user profile to an extension so that they have a number to receive and make calls. If applicable, set up the following:
- Call Forwarding: If desired, define call forwarding rules for when the user is unable to answer, or in the case of an internet outage.
- Microsoft Outlook Contacts: Sync your Microsoft Outlook contacts to Virtual Office.
- Voicemail and Fax Notifications: Receive your faxes electronically in Virtual Office, and get email notifications of new voicemail messages.
- Assign an extension to a Branch. This is an optional step to associate the extension with a specific location within the company.
- If the user has a desk phone, you must activate their phone so they are able to receive calls. Click here for a list of user guides for 8x8 phones and equipment.
- Define outbound calling options. Here you restrict a user's calling abilities to domestic calls only, or allow them to make international calls.
For more information, view our guides on setting up your account.
Additional Virtual Office Features
- Add your user to a Ring Group. Ring Groups are collections of extensions to which calls can be forwarded. This feature will allow your calls to be routed to a group of extensions, so you can forward calls to various teams or departments.
- Set up your Auto Attendant options for the user. This can include adding them to the company directory, turning on the dial-by-name feature for their extension, or setting the Auto Attendant to forward calls to their extension.
- Add your user as an agent in a Call Queue. A call queue allows incoming calls to be handled in the order received by the first available agent. Specify your user's number as a primary or secondary extension. A primary extension is an initial contact for the call queue and the secondary extension acts as an overflow if the queue is full.
8x8 Integrations and Plugins
- Web Dialer is a free browser extension that integrates with 8x8 Virtual Office and turns all phone numbers in your web browser as clickable links. You can download this extension for Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari.
- 8x8 Outlook Integration allows you to use Virtual Office features with Microsoft Outlook and Skype for Business. You can create meetings and handle calls using 8x8 services directly from Outlook and Skype for Business.
- CRM Tools such as Salesforce, Zendesk, and ACT! allow you to integrate your CRM and contacts into your 8x8 services. See the CRM/Contact Integration section of this article for user guides and a list of the CRM integrations supported by 8x8.
Quick User Guides
How do I reset my Virtual Office password?
You can change your Virtual Office password in any of your Virtual Office apps by clicking the Forgot Password option on your main login screen. See this article for more detailed instructions on the password reset process.
How do I configure my voicemail settings?
- Change or view your voicemail password. Typically, voicemail passwords are set by your account administrator upon creation of your account. You can change your password using Virtual Office Desktop or your phone.
- Create your outgoing voicemail message. Once you have created your voicemail password, you can change your voicemail greeting from your phone or from the Virtual Office Mobile app.
Where do I find instructions on troubleshooting common product issues?
Search for your issue on our Support website, support.8x8.com.
How do I offboard a user?
To offboard a user no longer with the company, you can disable their profile and reset their extension. See the article on clearing user profiles and resetting extensions for more details.