To record your screen when reproducing an issue you're experiencing, so that our Technical Support teams can troubleshoot and investigate the problem further.
- Windows OS (7, 8.1+, 10)
Recording and Saving
To achieve this we'll be using Microsoft's built-in screen recording software, Steps Recorder. Steps Recorder (called Problems Steps Recorder in Windows 7), is a program that helps you troubleshoot a problem on your device by recording the exact steps you took when the problem occurred. You can then send this record to a support professional to help them diagnose the problem.
Please Note: Steps Recorder doesn’t record text that you type (such as a password), except for function and shortcut keys.
- To open Steps Recorder:
- Windows 10: Select the Start button > Windows Accessories > Steps Recorder
- Windows 7/8.1+: Accessories > Problem Steps Recorder
- Click Start Record.
- Go through the steps to reproduce the problem you’re trying to diagnose. You can pause and resume the recording at any time.
- Optional: To comment on your recording with text, select Add Comment and use your mouse to select the part of the screen that you want to comment on. Type your comment, and then click OK.
- When you’re done, click Stop Record. Review the record of the steps you followed to make sure it shows what you want it to show.
- Click Save.
- Name the .zip file and choose where to save it.
- Click Save.
Now you can attach and send this .zip file to the person helping you troubleshoot the problem on your PC. It can be viewed in any web browser.
- In Steps Recorder, select the down arrow next to the Help button > Settings.
- You can change the following settings:
- Output location - If you don't want to be prompted for a location and file name every time you save a file, select Browse to set a default location and file name.
- Enable screen capture - Select No if you don't want to capture screenshots—for example, if the screen might reveal personal information that you don’t want to share. The app will still record a text description of your steps.
- Number of recent screen captures to store - The default is 25 screens, so if you need to record more than that, increase this number.
Note: Any settings you adjust here are temporary — they go back to the defaults when you close and reopen the program.