A Softphone connection uses an application installed on your computer to send and receive audio over the internet. This means that agents do not need to have desk phones or pay for telephony lines in your office. The Softphone method enables agents to connect to your contact center anywhere with access to the internet.
There are various Softphone applications available to download, we will be using Zoiper as an example of how you would configure your Softphone. The Agent must have a Softphone application installed before they can log in via this method.
Zoiper supports Windows and Mac operating systems. The instructions below describe how to set up Zoiper on Windows. Although the process is the same, the appearance may look slightly different on a Mac.
Setting Up Zoiper in Windows
In order to log in using Zoiper, you will need to find out your SIP information. There are multiple SIP servers so it is important to get the server specific to your account.
- Identify which SIP server you need to use by selecting Softphone and clicking SIP Configuration in the Agent Log In screen.
- Click Settings.
- Select Preferences.
- Click Create Account.
- Once you have created your account you will need to select SIP.
- You will then need to enter all your details including Username, Passcode and SIP Host.
- Username: cn
- Passcode: cn
- SIP Host: sip.contactnow.8x8.com.
- Uncheck Skip auto-detection because the account name will auto-fill.
- Your account will then be created. Click Close.
- Click Unregister and the red exclamation mark to the left of the account name which will change to a grey check.
- Click Extra at the top and uncheck Register on Startup.
- Before you can start making calls you will need to go to the Dialpad tab and enter the login number (385-1000).
- You should then be automatically taken to the Calls tab and within a few seconds you will be notified that the call has been established.
- Go back to the Dialpad tab to enter the agent number and passcode.
See other possible methods to Connect to the Dialer.