Whether your network is ready for 8x8's services will depend on your current network setup. Virtual Office is a hosted VoIP telephone service, requiring a high speed internet connection, proper configuration of networking equipment such as a modem and QoS-enabled router, and either an IP-configured phone or a soft phone.
Check your Internet service
8x8 service works well with nearly all Internet Service Providers (ISPs). We recommend cable, DSL, FIOS, T1, or T3 to ensure the most reliable 8x8 service.
To prevent incompatibility or reduced quality, please do not attempt to install 8x8 with dial-up, satellite or Wifi/4G-only Internet service.
To see whether your network is ready
- Check your equipment setup.
- It’s important to have a QoS-enabled router. Click for information on Recommended Routers.
- Are you using a separate modem and router? If you are, great! This will help with call quality.
If not, please contact your ISP to request a standalone modem and discuss options for connecting a separate, QoS-enabled router.
(If your ISP is unable to provide solutions, please contact 8x8 Implementation Service.)
- Run the 8x8 VoIP Test (voiptest.8x8.com).* This tests whether your Internet connection is ready to support VoIP service.
- Green lights? Most likely, you’re ready to go!
- Yellow or red? Please create a case with 8x8 Technical Support to speak to our Implementation Team.
For more in-depth information, check out our guide to Getting Started with Virtual Office.
*The 8x8 VoIP Test will not run in the Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge web browsers.
8x8’s IP phones come pre-configured to work with 8x8 service. You can also use 8x8 service with the Virtual Office Desktop or Online soft phone, as well as the Virtual Office Mobile smartphone app for Android or iOS!