Note: To block numbers for an individual extension in Virtual Office Configuration Manager, click here.
8x8 offers phone number blocking at the extension level. Individual extension users are able to apply the steps below to their own extensions using Advanced Call Forwarding in the Virtual Office Desktop or Online application.
Administrators who want specific numbers blocked at a Virtual Number, Toll-Free Number, or Ring Group level will need to use Advanced Forwarding Rules and at least one available Virtual Extension.
Blocking Calls to Your Main Company Number
You can use Advanced Call Forwarding to block any numbers at the extension level that you do not wish to reach your Virtual Number or Toll-Free Number (typically, these are main company numbers), or a Ring Group.
A Virtual Extension is an extension that is not associated with a physical telephone. If you do not have a Virtual Extension and you would like to block calls to your main company number, please contact an 8x8 Solutions Specialist for details on Virtual Extensions and pricing at 1-866-928-0720.
- In Account Manager, designate a Virtual Extension to which to forward the main company number.
- Forward calls from the main company number (Virtual/Toll-Free Number) to the Virtual Extension.
- Apply the blocking rules as described below to the Virtual Extension. (Then send eligible calls through to the Ring Group, if applicable.)
A common blocked call flow
- Call from unwanted caller reaches the main company number (Virtual/Toll-Free).
- The main company number forwards to the Virtual Extension, where blocking rules are applied.
- The call is routed to the Auto Attendant or simply dropped.
To set up a Virtual Extension to block main company number calls
- Log in to Account Manager.
- Go to Phone System > Extensions > View All Extensions > View.
- Decide which Virtual Extension you intend to use to block calls to your main company number.
Note: This extension must be assigned a User Profile in order to configure Advanced Forwarding Rules in Virtual Office Desktop or Online.
- Go to Phone System > Virtual and Toll-Free Numbers.
- Next to your main company number Virtual or Toll-Free number, click Edit.
- In the Sub Parent Destination Type drop-down, select Extension.
- In the Destination drop-down, select the Virtual Extension you want to use to block calls to your main company number.
- Click Confirm.
- You can now use the Virtual Extension User Profile to log in to Virtual Office Desktop or Online and configure Advanced Forwarding Rules to block calls to your main company number.
Blocking Calls to an Extension Using Advanced Forwarding Rules
- Log in to Virtual Office Desktop or Online.
Note: If you are continuing from the steps above, log in to the User Profile for the extension you intend to use to block calls to your main company number.
- Access Settings. In Virtual Office Desktop, click Virtual Office > Preferences > Account Settings — the Settings pop-up window will open.
- Click Call Forwarding.
- Click +Add New Rule.
- Enter a Rule Name (e.g., Blocked Numbers).
- In the Call From tab, click to un-check the Anyone box to make the other options available.
- To block specific numbers:
- Check the box for Or any of the phone numbers listed below.
- Enter a phone number (if the number is in your contact list, it will automatically populate).
- Click Add.
- To add more numbers, continue to enter them in one at a time.
Note: To block groups of numbers such as an area code, just enter the first few digits. For example, if the area code is 555, enter the blocked number as 1555 and click Add.
- Click the Date and Time tab to set options for when the number(s) should be subjected to the blocker rule.
- Click the Forward To tab.
- To block the call outright (caller will hear a busy signal), select Drop Call.
- To send calls to a different destination:
- Select Forward Calls to:
- Enter an alternate phone number.
- Click Add. The alternate number(s) will populate below.
- If desired, set options for how these numbers will ring.
- Click OK to save rule.
- Click Save to save the new forwarding settings.
You can edit, copy, or delete rules at any time by returning to Call Forwarding in Settings.