Note: To transfer numbers to 8x8 in Account Manager, the legacy version of Virtual Office Configuration Manager, click here.
The process of transferring a number from your former service provider to 8x8 is called porting. A ported number is a number that has been transferred from your previous service provider to your 8x8 account. Virtual Office Configuration Manager manages ported numbers in the Phone Number menu. If all the information submitted is correct, most ports complete within 7-10 business days of submission.
Note: The process below is applicable to US and Canada customers only. If your 8x8 services are set up for use in another country, please work with your reseller or support contact to complete the number transfer process.
To port your numbers to 8x8
- Log in to Configuration Manager.
- Click Phone Numbers.
- Click Port Numbers.
- This will take you to the Pre-check screen which ensures the following for the numbers that you are requesting to port:
- You are the owner of the numbers.
- Check your bill to view the name of the billing owner and the billing telephone number.
- You do not have DSL or special features such as Centrex, Distinctive Ringing, etc.
- DSL and other special features often cause numbers to be delayed or rejected by your provider. We recommend that you cancel these services before you go on to the next step.
- You are the owner of the numbers.
- Enter the Basic Information for this user.
- Authorized First Name and Last Name: This is the person listed as a contact on your former provider's account who is allowed to make changes to this account.
- Company: This field is required for business locations, but you can leave it blank for residential locations.
- Address: You can select an address from the menu if you have already entered addresses in the system or click New Address to add your contact's address.
- Select a Service Provider and enter a Billing Telephone Number for this provider.
- Enter the phone numbers that you wish to port, including area and country code, then click Enter to add this number to the field. Repeat this step for as many service providers as you need.
Note: When you enter a cell phone number to port, you will need to enter your account number and PIN in the Wireless Numbers section. You can usually find your account number in the top corner of your bill or invoice. Your PIN is given to you by your former provider and is usually pre-selected. Click the toggle to use the same account number and PIN for all wireless phones.
- Read the Letter of Authorization and check the box at the end of the article to state that you agree to this letter. In this letter you will receive a confirmation of the following:
- Number(s) you are transferring to 8x8
- Number Type: This indicates whether this is a Standard number or a Toll Free Number
- Service Provider
- Service Location Address: (This is the address of your former service provider.)
You will receive a confirmation message that states "Congratulations! Your request has been submitted successfully." This confirmation screen will also have a copy of your Letter of Authorization that you can print for your records. You have a list of temporary numbers for the numbers that you selected to transfer. Click Share your status with others to email the status of these numbers to your selected contacts. You will receive a confirmation message for this request in two to four business days.
To check the status of ported numbers, see How do I check the status of my number transfer in VO Configuration Manager?
Additional Steps for Canadian Numbers
For Canadian numbers we take extra care in ensuring the numbers port properly, after following the process above, please complete these additional steps