Ever wondered why you have a voicemail but your phone didn’t ring? If your company’s Internet service has a temporary failure, it will affect your 8x8 business phone service. Your 8x8 phone service is designed to deal with these types of interruptions to make sure you don’t miss a call even if your internet is unavailable. This is part of your Call Forwarding settings called Default Rules, and ensures that even if your phone is temporarily offline, your incoming calls continue to be answered. However, you can change this routing to have your calls routed to another extension, the Auto Attendant, or even an external phone number like your cell phone.
You can edit your Default Rules using Virtual Office Configuration Manager, Account Manager, Virtual Office Desktop, or Virtual Office Mobile (iPhone or Android).
Virtual Office Configuration Manager
- Log in to VO Configuration Manager.
- Click Users.
- Click More Options (three dots) to the right of your User Profile.
- Select Edit in the pop-up menu.
- Click Advanced Settings.
- Go to Call Forwarding and check the box to enable forwarding for When Internet Connection is Down. Note: Ensure that Forward all Calls is disabled so that you can select forwarding options based on status.
- Click Edit.
- Select one of the options below:
- Forward Directly to: Forward the call to a user or external number.
- Selected Users or External Numbers: Forward the call to users or external numbers with a delay before the call is routed to these numbers.
- Click Save to confirm your changes to the call forwarding options.
- Save the user.
- Log in to Account Manager.
- Navigate to Phone System then select View All Extensions and click Edit for the extension you wish to adjust. Note: Ring Group Forwarding must be done in Account Manager.
- Scroll down to Call Forwarding and click to expand the section.
- Check the box in the Internet Outage Forward row that is directly under Forward to Voicemail.
- Click Save Changes.
Virtual Office Desktop
- Log in to Virtual Office Desktop.
- Go to Settings > Account Settings.
- Select Call Forwarding. Note: Legacy Virtual Office Desktop users will see a different interface when they select Call Forwarding.
- Click Edit next to If my Internet Connection is Down.
- In the Search bar, type in the name of a user to whom you want to route calls.
- Click Save. The toggle will turn blue if you have successfully enabled this rule.
Virtual Office Mobile App
- Click More Options (three dots) > Account Settings and then Call Forwarding.
- Adjust Call Forwarding settings.