Note: Click here for more information on creating an Auto Attendant in Account Manager, the legacy version of Configuration Manager.
An Auto Attendant can be used in the place of a live receptionist, or to automatically transfer calls. The Auto Attendant is the recording that says, "Press 1 for ___." Your Auto Attendant can even route calls based on time of day for weekends, weekdays, holidays, and business exceptions (e.g., company offsites).
Four Steps to Planning Your Auto Attendant
- Identify the calls you want to the Auto Attendant to handle.
- Should all inbound calls go to through the Auto Attendant, or just those that your live receptionist can’t answer? Is the time of day important?
- Choose what menu options callers will have.
- Will one menu work, or will you need sub-menus?
- Decide where to route calls.
- What should happen to the calls? Should they go to a person, a group, a cell phone? What if a call doesn’t get answered?
- Compose the menu script.
- Do you need multiple language support?
To set up your Auto Attendant
- In VO Configuration Manager, click Auto Attendants.
- Click + Create Auto Attendant.
- Fill in your Auto Attendant Details. The following fields are required to configure your Auto Attendant:
- Time Zone
- Select Create a Schedule in the Schedule drop-down to set your business hours. This allows you to create different rules to be used during or outside of business hours.
- Select whether your business will be Open or Closed for each day of the week.
- If your business will remain open, use the drop-downs in the Time Range column to select the hours of operation. This schedule will operate in the time zone selected for the Auto Attendant.
- Click Save.
- Select an Auto Attendant greeting. Use text-to-speech to type out a prompt to be read by an automated voice. You can also use the default greeting, upload a pre-recorded greeting, or call a phone and record your greeting.
- Set rules for your Auto Attendant. These rules will set up the actions tied to specific keys in your Auto Attendant menu.
Note: You must select a site before you can create your Auto Attendant menu.
See below for helpful guides to use when setting up your Auto Attendants.
- Small Office – Set up your Auto Attendant to back up to your live receptionist.
- Store Front – Use Ring Groups to make all phones ring at once; how to set up group voicemails.
- Start Up – Use an Auto Attendant and Ring Groups to make your company look bigger.
- Multiple Language – Use an Auto Attendant to set up sub-menus for multiple languages or businesses.