When a Salesforce user receives an inbound call notification in the v 2.x (Next Generation) communication panel, the inbound caller appears as Unknown, even though there is a known Salesforce object on the account that has the correct phone number assigned.
Also, after correctly configuring the Custom Call Logging parameters, the Call Outcome section in the Notes tab of the communication panel may have no value to select after the call has ended.
Virtual Office for Salesforce v 2.x
There are several possible reasons for this issue:
- The user's web browser cache has become corrupted.
- There is no Salesforce object containing the caller's phone number.
- The Salesforce administrator has modified the Salesforce object template (such as Contacts) in a way that prevents the integration from searching supported Phone fields.
- The specific Salesforce object (such as Contacts) has been disabled in the communication panel from being searched during a call.
- The Salesforce administrator has installed the older v 1.8 Salesforce integration from the Salesforce AppExchange, and the application (not the call center) has not been updated to v 2.2 or higher.
- The Salesforce security Session Timeout causes user logout.
Browser Cache is Corrupted
When the web browser cache has become corrupted, it may prevent proper use of the 8x8 Salesforce communication panel.
This problem can be verified by testing the Salesforce communication panel in 1) a different web browser or 2) an Incognito tab (Chrome) or Private tab (Firefox), or 3) an entirely different PC.
If any of the above tests work, then the original browser session cache is probably corrupted. Fully clear both cache and cookies to resolve this.
If the above tests all fail, proceed to the other solutions provided here.
Caller's Phone Number Not Stored in Salesforce
The 8x8 Salesforce integration supports only the following objects for call recognition:
If the caller's phone number is not stored in one of these objects, or is not directly associated with one of these objects, call recognition will fail.
To resolve this issue, add the caller's phone number to one of the supported Salesforce objects.
Salesforce Object Template Has Been Customized
Salesforce administrators can modify the templates used to display information to Salesforce users. This includes templates such as for Salesforce Contacts. Most often these changes have no effect on call recognition.
If the Phone field in one or more of these objects has been too heavily modified by a Salesforce administrator, the integration's search capability for that object can be broken, causing phone numbers to fail recognition, especially during inbound calls.
This level of customization is not supported, as the integration can't adapt to unforeseen changes to the Salesforce templates.
Salesforce Object Search Disabled
Salesforce integration users have access to personalized settings in the communication panel. These settings are located under Menu > Settings.
In Menu > Settings > CRM Objects to search, verify that objects requiring phone number search are enabled (green). If an object's slider is disabled (gray), phone number recognition will fail for that object type.
Click Save and Close to save any changes made. The changes in this area are immediate.
Installed Salesforce Integration is v 1.8
The Salesforce integration is effectively an XML file which controls how the actual integration application (package) will function.
If the installed application is currently at v 1.8 through v 1.16, the Salesforce user may see Unknown on inbound calls instead of the caller's phone number.
To verify the application version currently being used
- The Salesforce administrator should navigate to Setup > Installed Packages.
- Look under Package Name for 8x8 Virtual Office for Salesforce.
- Identify the associated Version Number.
- If the version number is v 2.2 or higher, this is likely not the cause of the issue. All other solutions in this article should be investigated further.
- If the version number is currently v 1.8 through v 1.16, the Salesforce administrator should upgrade to v 2.x, which may immediately resolve the issue.
To upgrade to v 2.x
- Have all Salesforce integration users log out of the communication panel through Menu > Logout.
- Follow the directions linked below to install the latest 8x8 Salesforce integration:
The Salesforce security Session Timeout causes user logout
If the Salesforce security Session Timeout value is set too low, user sessions may time out too quickly, which can cause Unknown to appear in some communication panel during calls. See the following article for details: