Configure a Unifi USG
Ubiquiti Unifi USG and USG Pro
1. Log in to the Unifi Controller
Adding 8x8 Subnets:
2. Navigate to Routing & Firewall
- Click Firewall
- Click Groups
3. Click "Create New Group"
- Add a name for the group
- Leave type as "Address IPv4"
- Add the 8x8 Subnets, click "+Add" as needed
- Click "Save" once complete
A rule needs to be created for WAN IN, WAN OUT, LAN IN, and LAN OUT with the 8x8 Subnets
Creating the WAN IN Rule
4. Once the group has been created navigate to Firewall -> Rules IPv4 -> WAN IN
Click "Create New Rule"
- Add a name for the rule
- Set Action to "Accept"
- Set Source to the 8x8 Subnet group
- Under Destination set the "Destination Type" to "Network"
- Under "Network" set "LAN"
- Click Save
Creating the WAN OUT Rule
5. Navigate to Firewall -> Rules IPv4 -> WAN OUT
- Click Create New Rule
- Create a name for the rule
- Set Action to "Accept"
- Set "Source Type" to "Network"
- Set Network to "LAN"
- Set Destination to "Address/Port Group"
- Add the 8x8 Subnet group as the destination group
These steps will need to be duplicated for the LAN IN and LAN OUT rules as well.
Configure Firewall Settings
6. Navigate to Routing & Firewall -> Firewall -> Settings
7. Make sure SIP is set to OFF
8. Scroll down to "State Timeouts"
Modify TCP Close
- TCP Close Wait
- UDP Other
Set these values to 300
Check DPI Restrictions
9. Navigate to Settings -> DPI -> DPI Restrictions
Make sure there are no restriction settings for VoIP services. No setting needs to be added, the screenshot only shows this service added as an example.
Testing completed on firmware: 220.127.116.1146617
- During testing it has been found that modifying the time out options will slow down the NAT process from changing port assignments frequently
- The subnet white listing is not required for all configurations of USG devices, the white listing only needs to occur if inbound and outbound traffic is restricted through custom rules. But is suggested to white list the 8x8 subnets to ensure proper operations of phones.
- DPI does not need to be disabled on Ubiquiti USG devices, but it is required that there are no restrictions under the DPI settings for VoIP traffic.
- SSH commands can be run to configure the USG, but if any changes are made on the controller software the SSH configuration will be overwritten.
ubnt#:set system conntrack timeout udp stream 300
ubnt#:set system conntrack timeout udp other 300
ubnt#:set system conntrack modules sip disable