This guide will walk through configuring Zoiper version 5 to connect to the 8x8 ContactNow service.
Zoiper internet softphone is an alternative to using a cell phone or desk phone to connect agents to the ContactNow service.
Because Zoiper is an internet soft phone, the quality of an agent's service through Zoiper will depend entirely on the quality of their internet connection, as well as the health and ability of the computer that Zoiper is installed on.
This configuration guide is provided as a convenience to 8x8 ContactNow users. Zoiper internet phone software is not owned, managed, sold, or distributed by 8x8, and therefore 8x8 does not provide support for issues specific to Zoiper. However, at the time of this writing, it is known to work well in general for ContactNow users.
Zoiper version 5 Internet softphone, used in conjunction with the 8x8 ContactNow service.
Note: All phones, including Zoiper, are used ONLY to connect an agent to the ContactNow service. After successfully connecting to ContactNow and logging into the ContactNow dialer (or 'phone'), ALL phone call activity must take place in the ContactNow web browser interface.
These primary steps are required for configuring Zoiper for use with ContactNow:
These final sections can be used once Zoiper configuration is completed:
Download and Install the Zoiper v5 Application
If needed, download Zoiper v5 directly from Zoiper's download page linked below, and then install it.
Create a Zoiper Account
To begin, create an account in Zoiper. A Zoiper account is just a collection of specific settings that authorize Zoiper to connect to the ContactNow service.
- Run the Zoiper application.
- The first time Zoiper v5 is run, click on the appropriate option to continue.
- To begin creating an Account profile, enter the following information in lower case:
- Username / Login: cn
- Password: cn
- Click Login
- Enter the following hostname exactly as it appears, and click Next:
- Click Skip. ContactNow does not require proxy authentication.
Zoiper will then test the connection to ContactNow using the information that was entered in the steps, above.
- Once SIP UDP is found, click Next.
Zoiper should now open with an empty Contact screen. Continue to the next step to configure a new contact for ContactNow.
Create a Zoiper Contact
Once a new contact is created, it will be tied to the Account created in the steps above, and is used to call the ContactNow service as though Zoiper were a physical telephone.
- From the Contacts tab, click on the + sign.
- Select Add Contact
- Now click Advanced to display the Dial account menu at the bottom of the screen
- Enter ContactNow as a First name
- Enter ContactNow as a Display name
- In the Phone field, enter 3851000
- In Dial account, click the dropdown and select the ContactNow account that was created, previously. In this example, it's email@example.com.
- Click the X in the upper right corner to close the Add Contact screen. A prompt will appear to save the new contact.
- When prompted to Save changed data, click Yes.
- The new contact will be listed in the Contacts section of the main screen. If needed, proceed to the next section for instructions on logging into ContactNow.
Agent Login to the ContactNow Service
Once Zoiper is properly configured, an assigned agent will need to perform the following steps to begin using the ContactNow service:
- Log in to the ContactNow web portal
- Obtain the Agent Number and Passcode
- Connect Zoiper to the ContactNow Service
Step 1: Log in to the ContactNow web portal
- In a web browser, navigate to https://app.contactnow.8x8.com.
- Log in to the ContactNow portal using credentials supplied by a ContactNow administrator
Step 2: Obtains the Agent Number and Passcode
- On successful login to the ContactNow portal, the ContactNow dialer (or 'phone') will appear in the bottom right of the screen, and will show Disconnected status. If this first appears as a small gray bar, click to expand it.
- Select Softphone and then click Connect. This step only displays connection information. It will not log an agent in to ContactNow.
- The agent should note their Agent Number and Passcode (they are the same number).
Step 3: Connect Zoiper to the ContactNow Service
- From the Contacts tab in Zoiper, click on the new ContactNow contact to expand the window.
- Click Call.
Note: The ContactNow connection service provides about 45 seconds each to enter the Agent Number and Passcode. If the timeout is reached or either code is entered incorrectly too many times, the call will be disconnected, and the agent must begin the login process again.
- The screen should change to display a connection status, and the agent should hear:
- “Agent login. Please enter your Agent Number followed by the hash key (#)”
- Click on the Zoiper Keypad button to expand the keypad.
- Quickly type in the Agent Number, and then the pound key (#).
- When prompted, quickly type in the Passcode, and then the pound key (#).
- On successful login, the agent will hear the message Agent logged in!
- At this point, the agent should minimize the Zoiper application. While Zoiper is connected to ContactNow and the agent is logged in, the agent should not do anything with Zoiper until ending the ContactNow session.
If the agent enters the Agent Number or Passcode incorrectly, they must wait for the resulting error message to play through. The service will not respond to key presses until the agent is prompted again to enter the Agent Number or Passcode.
- The view of the ContactNow “phone” will change, and the agent will be placed on Idle or Available status (Awaiting Call), depending on settings the administrator has made.
- The agent can now begin making or receiving calls through the ContactNow dialer.
- At this point, do not touch Zoiper, except to:
- Minimize Zoiper or otherwise place it off-screen
- End the ContactNow work session
- To end a ContactNow session, just click on the gray status bar at the bottom of the dialer and select Disconnect, or simply hang up the Zoiper phone connection.
Troubleshooting Audio Issues
When clicking Call on a contact in Zoiper, the screen should change and display the connection status with the call timer counting up. This means that the softphone network connection to ContactNow has been made.
The agent should then hear: “Agent login. Please enter your Agent Number followed by the hash key (#).”
If audio can't be heard at this point, then the audio device of the computer Zoiper is installed on (such as a headset) may need to be configured in Zoiper.
- Click on Settings (the gear icon) at the upper right corner of the main window.
- In Settings > Media, click on Audio
- In Audio device selection, verify that the correct input (microphone) and output (speaker) devices for the computer are selected.
- Output Device: Click the Play button (triangle) to test the headphones or speakers
- The agent should hear the audio test being performed
- Input Device: Click the Play button (triangle) to test the microphone
- When speaking, the agent should see the mic meter change
- Output Device: Click the Play button (triangle) to test the headphones or speakers
- If any changes were made, test the Zoiper call to ContactNow again
- If audio was heard only during tests, it’s possible that the agent's local network configuration is causing audio to fail from (and possibly to) ContactNow.
If the audio problem persists, try changing the audio codec that Zoiper uses:
- From Settings (the gear icon), click on Accounts
- Click on the account created previously for ContactNow
- Click on Advanced at the top-right
- Scroll down to Audio codecs
- In Selected codecs, make sure that G.711 mu-law is placed at the top of the list by clicking its up arrow, or drag and drop it to the top of the list.
- Click on the X next to Accounts, and select Yes when prompted to to Save changed data.
- Now test the ContactNow login process, again.
Final Note: If none of the troubleshooting steps help to resolve an audio or connection issue with Zoiper to ContactNow, then it’s likely that a network feature or configuration such as SIP ALG is enabled on the agent's local network router, possibly by their internet service provider (ISP). In this case, try contacting the ISP to verify whether or not a feature such as SIP ALG is enabled on the modem/router. If so, it should be disabled. Further troubleshooting may be required on the agent's local network devices to determine what is blocking audio on the connection.