When making or receiving calls on your 8x8 phone extension, the 8x8 communication panel in Salesforce does not display any call activity, or it displays Unknown instead of a called/caller name.
This article applies only to the 8x8 Virtual Office Salesforce integration.
There are two primary causes for this issue:
1) Invalid Salesforce user permissions: The Salesforce user's profile may not have permission to access Apex class applications. The 8x8 Virtual Office integration for Salesforce contains Apex class elements that require this access.
2) Salesforce session expiration: The user's Salesforce session has automatically timed out, and the Force logout on session timeout option has not been enabled in Salesforce > Setup > Session Settings by the Salesforce administrator.
Example: When the user's Salesforce session remains logged in over-night and the Session Timeout value set by the Salesforce administrator is exceeded, the user appears to remain logged into Salesforce.
However, the session timeout has still automatically expired the security token that Salesforce provides to the 8x8 communication panel, preventing it from responding to any call activity.
This same scenario applies to a simple lack of user activity in Salesforce during work hours, when the Timeout Value is set to a low value.
Note: If the session has expired but Salesforce still appears to be active, the 8x8 communication panel in that tab may respond, but call identification will fail with Unknown. This is because the security token has not been updated, so the comm panel cannot communicate with Salesforce to perform a search.
Invalid Salesforce user permissions
The 8x8 Virtual Office for Salesforce integration is composed of several Apex Class components.
If the User Profile type is restricted from using those Apex Class items, the integration may appear, but will not function properly or at all.
To confirm user access and/or fix it:
- In Salesforce Classic mode, navigate to Setup > Installed Packages.
- Click on 8x8 Virtual Office for Salesforce.
- Then click View Components.
In the Package Components section, several Apex Class components are listed. The Apex Class items VirtualOffice and VOUserInfo must be enabled for the user's profile type.
- To see this, click on the name of the Apex Class items, such as VirtualOffice or VOUserInfo.
- Then click on Security.
- The user's profile type (such as Standard User, etc) must be listed in the Enabled Profiles area. If it is not, move the user's profile type from Available Profiles to Enabled Profiles and click Save.
- You may need to repeat this process for both Apex Class items VirtualOffice and VOUserInfo for this installed package.
- Once this is done, have the user(s) log out of Salesforce, then log back in and re-test their 8x8 comm panel.
Note that other impacting restrictions may have been placed on user profiles, and should be checked by the Salesforce administrator.
Salesforce session expiration
To resolve this specific problem immediately:
- Log out of Salesforce and then log back in to both Salesforce and the 8x8 communication panel (if this is not done automatically). This will renew the Salesforce session and the security token passed from Salesforce to the 8x8 communication panel.
- If this does not immediately resolve the issue, try clearing the web browser cache and cookies, and/or re-launch your web browser.
To resolve this specific problem for the long-term:
The Salesforce administrator can configure the Salesforce Session Timeout variables in Setup > Session Settings:
- Configure the Timeout Value to reflect a time-frame that more closely matches the user's work hours, to prevent the session from timing out too quickly.
- Uncheck the Disable session timeout warning popup option. This forces a warning message to appear when the user Salesforce session is about to be expired.
- Check the Force logout on session timeout option. This forces the user to be logged out of Salesforce when their session expires. This will force the user to log back in to Salesforce and into the 8x8 communication panel, which renews the 8x8 communication panel's security token.