Description & Download
Welcome to Beta testing for 8x8 Virtual Office Desktop! We're glad you're here.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment: For users that have their own machines and can install upgrades on their own without their company controlling the updates they install. (Learn more.)
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation: Installs VOD machine-wide to the Program Files folder. Best for companies that want to control the version that their users receive. (Learn more.)
Version 6.4.3 (10) published on 8/16/19.
What's new in this release?
The key features in Virtual Office Desktop v 6.4 are:
Core & Voice
- Easy audio device changes during a call via Call Using/ Headset.
- Directory remembers last view favorite and filters.
- Google Contacts without numbers (E-mail only) are also imported.
- Ability to pair your VOD with a meeting room for screen sharing when a Jitsi user and the room have the 8x8 meeting in-room software installed.
- Search for content within 1:1 message and room conversations.
- New emoji picker in conversation window with larger emoticons, ease of finding the most frequently used emoticons, and ability to search for an emoticon by name.
- Messages sent by a BOT (Eg: Sameroom) will show up with “VIA APP API” in the message title.
- Marking as Unread will move the Read Receipts for the user up, moving the unread watermark above the message and adjusting the “read receipt” published for the user to the previous message.
- Jump to First unread will now be displayed if there are any unread messages above the last displayed message.
- VOD Auto answer support for VCC agent in conjunction with VCC 9.9.
- Improved identification for Plantronics headsets.
- Disable auto-updates on Mac if the running user is not Admin account.
- Reduced the time for showing update notification when an update is available.
- Dynamically reloading the meeting provider when switching to Jitsi Meeting.
- It is not possible to switch to compact mode while in a meeting and on a tab that should support compact mode (Messages, Contacts, Calls,...).
Download for Windows
VOD 6.x provides two packages for Windows. The two packages are fundamentally different, using different deployment and update mechanisms. We recommend reading the following carefully before using either of them.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment
The .exe version is meant for users that have their own machines and can install upgrades on their own without their company controlling the updates they install.
What to Consider
- The .exe version will be installed to %LOCALAPPDATA%.
- Automatic updates are downloaded and installed for the user. In previous 5.x versions, users were prompted to install the update.
- No need for maintenance. VOD will keep itself up-to-date and secure.
- VOD will check for updates every time the user signs in, or once every 24 hours, or when they check for updates manually. The updates are downloaded in the background without user intervention.
- If there is an update to be installed, VOD will apply the update automatically when the user signs into VOD. If the user has not installed an update three days after it was downloaded, they will see a Relaunch to Install banner. They can click the Relaunch to Install link and install the update.
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation
The Windows Installer file (MSI) package installs Virtual Office Desktop (VOD) machine-wide to the Program Files folder. By installing in the Program Files folder, it can be used by multiple users on one computer.
This package is best for companies that want to control the version that their users receive.
What to Consider
- Single installation on a machine that multiple users that use the computer can leverage.
- IT Admins are required to keep VOD up-to-date and secure.