To learn how to view, change, or reset your voicemail password in Virtual Office Desktop, or from your phone. You will also find the requirements to set a password below.
If you have forgotten your voicemail password, you can display your current voicemail password in Virtual Office Desktop. If you need additional assistance with your voicemail password, please contact your phone system administrator.
To view or change your Ring Group voicemail password, click here.
Setting your voicemail password for the first time?
Typically, voicemail passwords are first set by the account administrator when editing extension details in the Account Manager. However, if you have the option to set your own voicemail password, from your own extension, dial 555, then press the # key. The system will first state, This is not a valid password. Stay on the line and listen to the brief voicemail tutorial. At the end, follow the instructions to set a voicemail password.
- Voicemail Password
- Virtual Office Desktop
Display and Change Your Voicemail Password in Virtual Office Desktop
- Log in to Virtual Office Desktop.
- In the application menu, click Virtual Office > Settings (or Preferences) > My Services > Voicemail Settings.
- Under Voicemail Settings, next to Password, click the box to Show Password.
- From here, you can change your voicemail password.
- Note: If you change the current password, click Save when done.
Note: for legacy accounts, account settings will open in a separate window.
Change Your Voicemail Password from Your Phone
- Access the voicemail system:
- From your own extension: Dial 555 and enter your current voicemail password.
- From another extension in your system: Dial 500, enter your extension number, then enter your current voicemail password.
- Once connected, press the * key to enter the Main Menu.
- From the Main Menu:
- Press 3 to enter the User Preference Options sub-menu.
- Press 1 to change your voicemail password. Follow the audio prompts until complete.
- Press 9 to exit voicemail.
Make sure the voicemail password meets the following requirements:
- Passwords must be 4 to 15 digits long.
- Passwords must not be the same digits (e.g., 0000, 1111, 9999).
- Numbers must not be sequential (e.g., 1234, 4321).
- Your password should not be your extension number.
- Passwords should not be any year (from 1900 - 2017).
- Passwords should not be a repeating ABAB pattern (e.g., 1010, 1212, 3131, etc.).
- Passwords must not be 2580, 0852, or 5683. (These are common combinations based on key placement or word association.)
For a downloadable Quick Reference Guide to the voicemail phone menu, click here.
Access to voicemail from an outside (non-8x8) line is restricted for your security. A workaround to allow this is to create an Auto Attendant for your own number or another number in your system with an option that points to extension 500.