Note: To exchange or replace devices on an extension in Virtual Office Configuration Manager, click here.
Have you upgraded your phones and need to exchange devices on your extensions? Do you need to switch the desk phone associated with your Hot Desk line? With the Account Manager Replace Device tool, you can swap devices into and out of service.
You can think of your desk phones as the external casing for your extension and services. You can swap out your desk phones, and your extension and services remain intact. Services like Auto Attendants, Virtual Office Pro, Call Queues, Ring Groups, Virtual Numbers, Virtual Extensions, and Call Park Extensions do not depend on a particular model of desk phone to operate. The exceptions to device interchangeability are Power Keys, 4-Line Appearance, and Hot Desk. Power Key plans require Polycom devices. 4-Line Appearance is limited to select Polycom and Cisco phone models. Hot Desk is not supported on certain devices. Beyond these restrictions, you are free to replace devices on your extensions and retain the same functionality of your chosen services.
This process is for new or existing devices. If you are experiencing issues swapping your device, or if you do not see your device model listed in Account Manager, please create a case with 8x8 Technical Support. It is also possible that the device has been grandfathered in.
To use the Replace Device tool in Account Manager
Warning: When using this tool, be sure to select the exact device model you are swapping in to ensure the device is added properly. Also, if you are using a phone not provided by 8x8, we strongly recommend reading this article before starting this process.
- Log in to Account Manager.
- Click Phone System > View All Extensions.
- Locate the extension for the phone you will be replacing.
- In the Actions column, click Replace Device.
Note: Do you see Activate Device instead of Replace Device? If so, you may simply need to activate the original phone first -- click Activate Device and follow the instructions, then proceed to replace. If the current device associated with the extension is already activated and functioning please create a case with 8x8 Technical Support.
- In the Replace Device pop-up, confirm the device you are removing from the extension. If it is correct, click Yes.
Note: The MAC ID is visible on a label on the underside of the device.
- From the Select a Device to replace drop-down, select the model of the new phone you want to use on the extension.
Note: Do not continue unless you are sure of the selected device model. The manufacturer and model name/number are visible on a label on the rear or underside of the device.
- After you have confirmed the new device model, click Save.
- If necessary, unplug the old phone/adapter from the network.
- Plug in and boot up the new device.
- Return to the Account Manager Manage Extensions screen.
- Locate the extension to which you will be adding the new device.
- In the Actions column, click Activate Device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to Activate Device.
- Pick up the handset or press the speaker button.
- Enter the activation code.
- Press #.
- Allow the phone to restart and access the network. This may take several minutes.
- To see the active device associated with the extension in Account Manager, refresh the Manage Extensions page.