Note: To block numbers for an individual extension in Virtual Office Configuration Manager, click here.
Using a Virtual Extension and Virtual Office Advanced Call Forwarding to block numbers at the extension level that you do not want to reach your Virtual Number or Toll-Free Number (typically, these are main company numbers), or a Ring Group. In this procedure, you will:
- Designate a Virtual Extension to which to forward the main company number.
- Forward calls from the main company number (Virtual/Toll-Free Number) to the Virtual Extension. Note: A Virtual Extension is an extension that is not associated with a physical telephone.
- Apply blocking or reroute rules to the Virtual Extension. (Then send eligible calls through to the Ring Group, if applicable.)
8x8 offers phone number blocking at the extension level. Administrators in Account Manager who want specific numbers blocked at a Virtual Number, Toll-Free Number, or Ring Group level must use Advanced Forwarding Rules and at least one available Virtual Extension.
- Account Manager
- Virtual Office Online
- Virtual Extensions
First, set up a Virtual Extension to block main company number calls.
- Log in to Account Manager.
- Go to Phone System > Extensions > View All Extensions > View.
- Decide which Virtual Extension you intend to use to block calls to your main company number.
- Note: This extension must be assigned a User Profile in order to configure Advanced Forwarding Rules in Virtual Office Online.
- Go to Phone System > Virtual and Toll-Free Numbers.
- Next, go to your main company number Virtual or Toll-Free number and click Edit.
- In the Sub Parent Destination Type drop-down, select Extension.
- From the Destination menu, select the Virtual Extension you want to use to block calls to your main company number.
- Click Confirm.
- You can now use the Virtual Extension User Profile to log in to Virtual Office Online and configure Advanced Forwarding Rules to block calls to your main company number.
Next, block calls to the extension using Advanced Forwarding Rules.
- Log in to Virtual Office Online using the User Profile for the extension you intend to use to block calls to your main company number.
- In Virtual Office Online, go to Settings > Call Forwarding.
- Click +Add New Rule.
- Enter a Rule Name (e.g., Blocked Numbers).
- In the Call From tab, click to un-check the Anyone box to make the other options available.
- To block specific numbers:
- Check the box for Or any of the phone numbers listed below.
- Enter a phone number (if the number is in your contact list, it will automatically populate).
- Click Add.
- To add more numbers, continue to enter them in one at a time.
Note: To block groups of numbers such as an area code, just enter the first few digits. For example, if the area code is 555, enter the blocked number as 1555 and click Add.
- Click the Date and Time tab to set options for when the number should be subjected to the blocker rule.
- Specified date/time period
- Recurring schedule
- Click the Forward To tab.
- To block the call outright (caller will hear a busy signal), select Drop Call.
- To send calls to a different destination:
- Select what you would like to happen to the blocked call after trying all alternate numbers.
- Select whether you would like the alternate numbers to ring Sequentially or Simultaneously.
- Enter the number of seconds you want to allow the call to ring.
- Click Add. The alternate number will populate below.
- Enter an alternate phone number.
- Select Forward Calls to.
- Click OK to save the rule.
- Click Save to save the new forwarding settings.
You can edit, copy, or delete rules at any time by returning to Call Forwarding in Settings.
Example of a Blocked Call Flow:
- Call from unwanted caller reaches the main company number (Virtual/Toll-Free).
- The main company number forwards to the Virtual Extension, where blocking rules are applied.
- The call is routed to the Auto Attendant or simply dropped.