Note: To set up Work for Desktop as a softphone in the legacy version of Virtual Contact Center, click here.
Work for Desktop is available as a softphone option for Contact Center. This allows the agent to use Work for Desktop instead of a physical phone. Calls to the user's extension can be directed to Work for Desktop. Follow the instructions below to use and set up Work for Desktop softphones for your agents in Contact Center.
Things to Know
- Dedicated Agent Extension Mode cannot be used while using Work for Desktop as a softphone.
- You must have a Contact Center license and a 8x8 Work license in order to use Work for Desktop as a softphone.
- Users log in to 8x8 Work and Contact Center with the same credentials.
- Check that the Interaction Time Out in Contact Center is shorter than the delay in Call Forwarding Rules before the call is routed to voicemail in 8x8 Work.
- If the delay in Call Forwarding Rules is longer than the Interaction Time Out, then callers that are routed to voicemail are never routed back to the Call Queue.
- Presence is not synchronized between Work for Desktop and Contact Center. If an agent is Available in Contact Center then they will still be eligible to receive Contact Center calls even if their status is Busy or Do Not Disturb in Work for Desktop. (In the latter case, the call will be routed to the user's Work for Desktop voicemail.)
To configure a Contact Center Agent user profile in VCC Editions and X Series
Before you add an agent with a VOD softphone, you need to claim a phone number for their VCC account.
- Log in to 8x8 Admin Console.
- Click Users.
- Click Create User.
- Fill in the required information:
- First name
- Last name
- Under Services and Permissions, select the desired VCC Contact Center seat.
- Click + next to the license to add another service.
- Select an available Virtual Office license from the drop-down menu.
- Select a phone number from the Phone Number drop-down.
- Enter an Extension Number or accept the default number provided.
- Set Device to None.
- Under Virtual Contact Center (VCC) Agent Settings, click Suggest to generate an extension number.
- Click Save.
To set up Work for Desktop as a softphone in VCC Editions
- Log in to VCC Configuration Manager.
- Select Agents.
- Click Edit to the right of the designated user.
- Click the Phone tab.
- Enter the user's full 8x8 Work phone number as their Workplace Phone.
- Click Save.
- Agents must set their status to Available to make and receive calls in their assigned queues in Contact Center.
- Agents must put calls on hold in Contact Center so that the transaction details will be visible.
- Agents must transfer calls in Contact Center or the calls will be dropped on the Contact Center side.