My Polycom desk phone cannot activate or get service, and the screen reads Line Unregistered.
- Polycom IP phones
Make sure the phone is on a supported firmware version. VVX phones on firmware lower than 4.1.6, and SoundPoint IP phones on firmware lower than 4.0.8 will not come online and will display Line Unregistered when provisioned to 8x8. These devices will need to have the firmware upgraded.
Create a case with 8x8 Support if you need assistance upgrading the devices firmware.
Often, simply power-cycling the phone will allow it to re-download the proper configuration in full and help correct this issue.
- Unplug the phone from its power source.
- Wait a full minute or longer.
- Plug it back in.
- Give the phone several minutes to start back up and reacquire its configuration.
Change Boot Server
The phone tries to contact the boot server in order to download firmware and configuration files. Setting this option to Static may help in resolving this error. This should be an a last resort.
- Using the phone's IP address and a computer on the same network as the phone, open a web browser and access the phone's web interface (GUI). (Refer to manufacturer's documentation for detailed guidance on accessing the phone's web GUI.)
- Click Settings > Provisioning Server > DHCP Menu.
- In the Boot Server field, select Static (default is Custom+Opt66).
- Click Save.
- Allow the phone several minutes to restart and attempt to obtain the proper configuration.
Note: On some devices, the default Boot Server setting on the device is Static. In this case, change the Boot Server setting to Custom+Opt66, click Save, and allow the device to restart.
- Move the phone to a known working location.
- Check firewall settings.
- Disable SRTP on the affected extension(s).
- Note: Editions and X Series services only.
- Ensure there is no double NAT (two routers connected together, that the phones pass through).
- Set a static IP with the ISP DNS as the primary and secondary DNS addresses.
- If there are multiple phones experiencing this issue, the local network will need to be checked. Create a case with 8x8 support for assistance.
Line Unregistered is a general error that simply means the phone cannot authenticate with the SIP proxy. Specific root cause can vary, and is most commonly the LAN configuration being incorrect for 8x8 service. This issue may sometimes manifest intermittently due to network fluctuations, as well as issues with SRTP services.