Importing Contacts in Virtual Office Desktop v 6.0
Windows users can sync their locally stored Outlook contacts with VOD.
- Log in to Outlook.
- Log in to Virtual Office Desktop and go to the Contacts tab.
- Click My Contacts.
- Click Add (person icon).
- Click Import Outlook Contacts. This will automatically select the Outlook profile that is set as the default profile.
- Select Personal Contact, Company Contact, or both. (Note: The maximum amount of contacts that can be imported is 10,000.)
- Personal contacts are imported to My Contacts.
- Company contacts are imported to Company.
- Fields imported include: Name, Emails, Phones, and first Address.
To remove all imported Outlook contacts, go to Settings > Contacts and click Remove (trash can).
To sync imported Outlook contacts, go to My Contacts > Add, and click Refresh Outlook Contacts.
Important: Outlook data is stored locally on the computer, so contacts imported to VOD on that computer will only be available on VOD on that computer.
Importing Contacts in Virtual Office Desktop v 5.9 or Earlier
Virtual Office Desktop (VOD) Classic Mode and Virtual Office Online (VOO) allow importing contacts from multiple sources.
Note: At this time, contact integration in Virtual Office Desktop is only available to users who joined 8x8 before October 2017; it can be found in Classic Mode. Support has been added for importing local Outlook contacts in New Experience Mode. To import contacts from other sources in Classic Mode, install Virtual Office Desktop v 5.9.
To import contacts into Virtual Office Desktop or Online
- Log in to Virtual Office Desktop v 5.9 or earlier in Classic Mode, or Virtual Office Online.
- Note that Virtual Office Online does not support local Outlook contact import
- Also note that Classic mode and VOD 5.9 are currently in legacy status, and will be retired some time in mid-2019.
- Go to Settings.
- From the left hand menu, click Contacts.
- Check the boxes for the contact sources you want to import from. If required, enter login credentials to complete contact sync.
- Keep in mind the requirements and limitations for each source noted in the table above.
- Grayed out options have been restricted by the account administrator.
- Please note that users cannot import both Microsoft Exchange and Outlook contacts.
This table summarizes the capabilities and requirements for each contact source. Please pay special attention to the User Info Required and Source Requirements for each contact list provider.
|Source||IM & Presence||Create/Update/Delete Contacts||8x8 Support||User Info Required||VOD Version||Source Requirements|
|Yes||Yes - Personal only||VOO & VOD
Mac & Windows
|Google UN & PW||5.9 or earlier||
|Exchange||No||Yes - Personal only|| VOO & VOD
Mac & Windows
|Exchange UN, PW &
Active Sync URL
|5.9 or earlier||
|Office 365||No||Yes - Personal only||VOO & VOD
Mac & Windows
|Office 365 UN & PW||5.9 or earlier||
|Outlook||No||No||VOD Windows only||None||5.9 or earlier||
|Yes - Presence only||No||VOD Windows only||None||5.9 or earlier||